To polish or not to polish

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

To polish or not to polish

Post by FJohnSharp »

I'm thinking about putting my Burke Bb up for sale and it has the typical marks and colors of an older whistle. Do I need to polish it up for the best price or do people like the worn patina look?
The Danish Piper
Tell us something.: I am a original a piper and play the Highland Pipes and Scottish smallpipes and have done so for 17 years
About 1,5 years ago i took up the Low Whistle and really enjoy that as well.

Re: To polish or not to polish

Post by The Danish Piper »

This is just my personal viewpoint.
I just think it has to appear clean.
It is like a car - It is easier to sell a used car, if it is washed.
Playing music since 2006
Whistle and different sets of bagpipes.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I personally like the look of patina on brass, but not so much on aluminum alloy. However, for the purposes of selling, I'd opt for polishing it up a bit.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

It would make little difference to me personally, but I would prefer that an instrument not be polished, because some polishes, like Brasso, contain compounds that will make the patina come back more aggressively and in an uglier way. I also don’t want residues from these polishes on whistles I buy, and I would also not want the added chance of the stranger I’m buying from causing any sort of damage to the blade.

I like the patina on brass that comes about naturally from being played. Besides, it’s just going to have a patina again within a week anyway. I don’t want to buy a dirty whistle, but patina is no problem.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Thanks everyone