Looking to try a low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
papageno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just began playing whistles.
I hope to learn a few thing from experienced players.
Also interested in all thing Irish, especially music and whiskey.

Looking to try a low whistle

Post by papageno »

I would like to try out a low whistle. I am thinking about a low D or perhaps an Alto F. I don't know if the piper's grip is something I will be comfortable with so I am looking for a lower priced entry level instrument. I play only for my own enjoyment so I wouldn't need a loud or tuneable instrument. The Dixon low D is at an attractive price point. Used instruments would be fine as well.
There is a rather intimidating (for me at least) number of possibilities out there Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Last edited by papageno on Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: Looking to try a low whistle

Post by Sirchronique »

The price doesn’t really have anything to do with whether or not it requires piper’s grip (perhaps I misread that sentence?).

In any case, piper’s grip makes things easier, not harder. It’s normal for such a thing to feel unfamiliar and weird at first, but simply playing up and down the scale that way slowly and cleanly each day for a week will get you adjusted to it and it will not feel weird at all. It becomes as natural as playing with the normal way one would play a soprano D, and doesn’t take long at all to get used to it.

As for inexpensive low Ds- The *conical* Dixon low D whistles are generally good and also very comfortable to play. That being said, they change their whistles from time to time, so I have no idea about the current ones. In any case, both of them that I have are good. Kerry Optima is also a decent low cost option. Both have very different sounds. Personally, I think the Dixon sounds and plays as nicely as high priced whistles, albeit with a different sort of tone than most others, and perhaps the only reason people don’t take it more seriously is because it is plastic, non-tuneable , and gives off “budget” vibes. If you like the more classic low whistle type of tone, the Optima might be more to your liking. The Dixon is probably much more comfy for a beginner, though, although both are very easy to play. For learning at home, the conical Dixon or the Kerry Optima are both very suitable, and you can probably find a used one for even cheaper if you look out for one.
papageno

Post by papageno »

Sirchronique wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:16 pm The price doesn’t really have anything to do with whether or not it requires piper’s grip (perhaps I misread that sentence?).

In any case, piper’s grip makes things easier, not harder. It’s normal for such a thing to feel unfamiliar and weird at first, but simply playing up and down the scale that way slowly and cleanly each day for a week will get you adjusted to it and it will not feel weird at all. It becomes as natural as playing with the normal way one would play a soprano D, and doesn’t take long at all to get used to it.

As for inexpensive low Ds- The *conical* Dixon low D whistles are generally good and also very comfortable to play. That being said, they change their whistles from time to time, so I have no idea about the current ones. In any case, both of them that I have are good. Kerry Optima is also a decent low cost option. Both have very different sounds. Personally, I think the Dixon sounds and plays as nicely as high priced whistles, albeit with a different sort of tone than most others, and perhaps the only reason people don’t take it more seriously is because it is plastic, non-tuneable , and gives off “budget” vibes. If you like the more classic low whistle type of tone, the Optima might be more to your liking. The Dixon is probably much more comfy for a beginner, though, although both are very easy to play. For learning at home, the conical Dixon or the Kerry Optima are both very suitable, and you can probably find a used one for even cheaper if you look out for one.
Thanks for your reply!
I mention the unknown (for me) ergonomics of low whistles in general and the piper's grip in particular as reasons why I'm looking for a less expensive entry level options.
I've read some good things about the Optima so that's also a possibility.
Used whistles are also an option, so suggestions on what to look out for are appreciated!
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Whistle preference is such a subjective matter that it’s difficult to recommend specific whistles, but the two I mentioned are both decent and readily available starting points for one who wants to keep it as inexpensive as possible but still have an instrument that is nice to play.

If you like the sound of MK whistles, they have a cheaper nontunable “MK Kelpie” model. That is the only other option I can think of that is likely to fit within a narrower budget, and I think they are generally liked by people who are into MK. I’m not into that sort of whistle much, but you might like it.

When it comes to good deals on used whistles, I could make a pretty long list of things that may be worth looking into, but who knows when a specific thing will pop up on the used market. It may be worthwhile to simply look at what’s out there on this forum, social media groups, and eBay, and then do further research about any item you come across that fits within your budget and seems interesting.(FYI, there is a Chieftain Busker low F on the UIE right now)

Also, unless you have very small hands, arthritis, or tendon issues, I think you’ll be able to adapt to most low D whistles, and won’t need to worry about not getting on well with piper’s grip. The first time I played a low whistle and tried out that grip, I thought “this feels weird, and there is no way I’m going to get on with this”. Doing the exercise I mentioned got me used to it very quickly, and within a very short matter of time it was no more challenging for the fingers than high whistles. If you make the effort to get to used to them, you’ll be surprised by how quickly it happens.
papageno

Post by papageno »

Thanks!
Good advice.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Goldfinch in Poland make affordable plastic whistles too. They aren't the most stylish you'll ever see, but they're carefully made and finished, well tuned, and easy to play. You can also play them quite quietly, which is a distinct advantage when you're a long way from being a skilled player.

If you find you take to it, you'll probably want to have more than one whistle to practise on, as they're all very different. My plastic low D can make me a bit lazy if I'm not careful because it needs so little air, and you can attack the top D and E as hard as you like without tonguing them and there are still no squeaks. I love it for learning new tunes, and for playing when my illness means I'm too fatigued to even think about filling a metal whistle.
SimpleWhistler
Tell us something.: Love music, especially ITM. Beginner musician. Play tin whistle. "Own" a low whistle, flute, and fiddle. Hoping to learn all of them. My dream come true would be to learn uilleann pipes!

Post by SimpleWhistler »

I'm a beginner and I have an MK Kelpie and a Dixon plastic low D. I really like the MK but I do find it quite a bit heavier than the Dixon. I think the weight takes some getting used to.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Yes, the weight of my MK strains my ancient thumb joints. It's the heaviest whistle I have, and the hardest to hold on to. I use silicone plectrum grips, which do help, but I'd really value a thumb rest for large metal whistles.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Live performance whistle reviews, with a reviewer who mentions many aspects of whistle playability, tone and with comparisons to other whistles,
is a great help. Nathaniel Dowell, CutiePie and others, run many keys of whistles from gazillions of whistle makers through excellent performance reviews and it's all on YouTube:

Nathaniel Dowell:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 2PKWz4b8Yo

CutiePie:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s9ZC1bDDvF

There are other reviewers on YouTube, so search for "_________ whistle review", and you'll probably find many for a specific model and key.
Also, many of the whistle makers have links to YouTube performances, or other video performances of their whistles posted on their own websites. :)
Excellent supply of live whistle performance demonstrations: Kerry/Chieftain, Killarney, Goldfinch, Shearwater, Nick Metcalf, and many others, especially the more pro level whistle makers.
papageno

Post by papageno »

There is a local store that specializes in folk music that had a couple of Dixon low D whistles. I went there yesterday to have a look. They don't allow you to try before buying and they don't accept returns. I was able to assess the hole spacing and it didn't feel too bad. Turned out they only had the display models left. One was the dual whistle/flute model they were missing the flute head and still wanted full price. The other was the non-tunable model. It definitely looked shopworn. Again they wanted full price. If they had offered a nice discount I would have purchased it. Anway, I did come away even more excited about low D whistles!
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I'm a big MK fan. Enough people have them that picking up used is very viable. There's a Kelpie low D for sale right now on this forum that may or may not be in your country. The thing with used is that while an MK used may cost more than some cheaper whistles, if you get a decent deal you can sell for 0 loss later. but the goal is to like it and not resell. Which in that case, MK's are what I've personally had the most success with. Your experiences could vary from mine. I have Bass C and low d tunable, and a kelpie low F.

If you arent playing live Kelpie is all you need, dont worry about the 'pro' tunable ones unless you want a cool color haha.

I recommend used when possible, but the used market hasn't been too strong lately so buying new is likely easier. All 3 of my MK's were used. And all of my not super cheap whistles minus 2 of my Reyburns were used. but it also took a long time to find them all.

Other mentions I didnt see yet in this thread that I havent played personally but have heard many good things about and are fairly affordable: Howard & Chieftain V5 fixed.

Some of these cost a bit more, Kerry optima is cheaper, but if you end up loving low whistle having one you really like is important otherwise you will just end up buying more haha.