Kerry Question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RWHurtt
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in this forum because it seems to be the place to learn, ask questions, and find whistle brands that I would otherwise not have heard of. So I guess I'm registering so I can take part in discussions regarding styles of play and, in the future, adding whistles to my collection.

Kerry Question

Post by RWHurtt »

Hey all!

So I want to get a high C whistle and am looking at either the Optima Cobre high C or the Chieftain high C, v4. My question is, has anyone had experience with either or both and can you let me know which one you would prefer and why? Thanks in advance!
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Re: Kerry Question

Post by Flexismart »

I have a Cobre C, and a pre V4 Chieftain C (from 2005).
You don't describe any of your preferences, or what you want a C whistle to sound like, however,
here's what I think:
The Cobre C is a loud, very well in tune, metallic sounding whistle with a focused tone, and very little airy whisper sound. It requires very little air to play. The whistle, made with a plastic mouth piece, an alloy collar and a copper body is a beautiful instrument, especially as it begins to discolor from the acids in your fingers. I use mine for practice and for tune writing.
(I play Oz whistles when performing).
The Chieftain C (sometimes called a mezzo C), a fully alloy whistle, is a completely different kind of whistle - with a large bore, (the outside bore of the Cobre C will fit into the inside bore of the Chieftain C). Once again, the intonation is perfect, as is the character of the tone. The Chieftain C uses more breath to play, but you are rewarded by a complex, astounding tone that has, in my case, turned heads, (it had nothing to do with the chicken that was dancing on my head, honestly).
If I was to buy one or the other, first, I'd get both because they're so different, but if I was budget limited I'd get the Chieftain C because it sounds so wonderful played at volume.
RWHurtt
Tell us something.: I'm interested in this forum because it seems to be the place to learn, ask questions, and find whistle brands that I would otherwise not have heard of. So I guess I'm registering so I can take part in discussions regarding styles of play and, in the future, adding whistles to my collection.

Re: Kerry Question

Post by RWHurtt »

Thank you! Sorry for not putting in any sort of preferences. I kind of wanted to hear what other people thought without it being affected by my opinion. But I can see how maybe I should've stated that if I wasn't going to put any of my own preferences in. LOL

I have a Busker high D and a Chieftain low D and, as I like both, I kind of wanted to stick with what I had found to work for me. :) I also have a Killarney D, Oak C (which is what I'm trying to replace), a Tilbury Bb, and a Dixon high D. Out of those, my favorite in order would be the two Kerry whistles in any order, then the Tilbury, then the Killarney, then the rest.