NEW WHISTLES released: we need reviews!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RoberTunes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

NEW WHISTLES released: we need reviews!

Post by RoberTunes »

At least two new whistles have been released very recently, as of December, 2022. We need playing reviews from anyone who has played them, including, hey, what an idea, the manufacturers!
The new Killarney in A, and the new Tony Dixon Mui Cosht whistle in soprano D are two examples. Nick Metcalf has released new whistles in the last while. MK Midgie in high D, anyone?
Humphrey Copycat? Carbony Leading Tone whistle?

If there aren't others, there will be soon, no doubts. All these whistle players sitting at their holiday dinner tables with time on their hands
who could be helping in the search to locate or release reviews................... All these whistle makers inventing new whistles. Got to get people together.
belayatron
Tell us something.: Been learning the tin whistle for just under 2 years (as of Jan 2020) and wanting to learn more! Currently own about 11 High D whistles, 2 Low Ds, 2 Flutes and favourite tune is probably off to California with a general love of Irish Hornpipes.

Re: NEW WHISTLES released: we need reviews!

Post by belayatron »

If anyone is inspired to review these, can they please please record in raw audio.

I understand the temptation to add compression, and maybe some reverb, to sound nice, but the mainstream YouTube reviewers (whilst lovely) are next to useless to make a comparison as the sound is so far from real.

I understand if you’re donated a whistle to review there’s a temptation to make it sound amazing, but I don’t thing it helps people actually purchase them :-)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hearing a whistle played well by a good player is a prime selling point.

Not so sure about reviews though, I don't buy a lot of whistles, buying more will not make me sound any better and I really don't want more 'stuff' and clutter. The few times I have been tempted to get a whistle based on what I read here or in a review, the experience was bitterly disappointing.

Reviews can be helpful in their description of an instrument, material, looks etc, but when it comes to playing character and all that, being able to 'read' the reviewer's comment is only useful when you know their skill level and how they play. You need context to weigh the value/context of the words.

I remember one review where the writer said 'this whistle will take every ornament I can throw at it'. Which is itself an eyebrow raising sort of statement. In this case though, the write-up was accompanied by a clip of the reviewer playing McMahon's/The Banshee, never putting any roll in any of the obvious places. Barely anything at all 'thrown at it a al,l at all.

Reviews aside, I can't help wondering if we need more makers hopping on the bandwagon. I know some will argue the benefits of endless choice but too many 'new' whistles are just derivative, mock-ups of successful instruments. But that's probably something for another. less gloomy, day.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

"Killarney in A" has got my attention.

If they stay on song it could be quite good.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

"Killarney in A" has got my attention.
I spotted it a good while ago, it was introduced without any fuss. It could be good,and likely is. But I had to ask myself the question 'Do I need another whistle, and an A to boot and fork out €125 for it?'. And decided it wouldn't see enough use to justify the purchase. But it would be the first I'd look at, should the need for an A occur.
My brain hurts

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I’ve been curious about those “Dannan Causeway” whistles, as well. I have seen them often on Etsy and Amazon. I have been hoping someone would try one, so I could at least get an idea of if it’s even a playable instrument. I’ve found nothing in the way of sound clips, and not a single review anywhere. I tend to think any plastic that isn’t black or white looks ridiculous, but I can ignore that if it sounds and plays well, and can be reasonably played in tune.

If no one buys one in the next week, I guess I will have to for the sake of science.
stringbed
Tell us something.: Playing woodwind instruments for over 70 years and deeply interested in their history, manufacture, technology, and performance practices.

Post by stringbed »

I’ve had a Killarney A for a few weeks and personally find it to be a really good whistle. I got it in the hope of it being a close copy of my Sindt A and it fully meets that expectation. The diff between the two is the same as with the high Ds I have from the same makers, but the As come closer. The Sindt has a tad more resistance and core to its sound but I’d be hard put to describe the Killarney as in any way inferior to it. I have an embarrassingly large collection of whistles from many manufacturers, including others of Sindt style. The Killarneys are the ones I take with me when venturing forth and the A is a welcome expansion to that line up.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

I should have specified in my original post that I would be looking for "YouTube or other live video playing of the whistles", as the preferred way to do a review. Put the whistles through a range of live performance tests; through the full 2+ octaves of notes, for demonstrating playability, intonation, tone quality from lowest to highest notes, clogging level after ___ minutes, relative air volume demands, general relative loudness of the whistle, octave transition issues, size of holes related to rolling notes or applying ornamental effects, and range of expression (variable responses to variations in attack, release, breathiness/chiff, volume range, tone, etc.). Also good to mention bore size, what key it is, date of review, and their favorite beer. And a good reviewer is honest and thorough, not just there to say things are great with their favorite whistle.

One feature I like with the reviews of Cutie Pie, WhistleTutor and Nathaniel Dowell is that they will play and compare whistles using the exact same tune played on different whistles, so your ear can pick up the difference between whistle response for a given run of notes as well as overall whistle performance. And they give extensive comments and demonstrations, all relevant and helpful.

And I agree raw live audio is the only way to do that, as once compression, reverb, and any EQ are applied, the whistle becomes something else entirely and the demonstration review isn't a valid reference during that part. I could make a jaw harp sound like a train loaded with the Berlin Philharmonic passing through the mountains on Oktoberfest, with the right effects applied. Anyway, YouTube live performance reviews........that's the ticket. :party:
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

Ben Walker, The Whistle Blower on Utube, has a comprehensive review of MK whistles, including the Midgie. He plays it quite a bit. It plays and sounds like an MK. He loves it. I ordered one and should be getting it this week. They seem to sell out quickly when Misha posts that he has some, so you have to jump on it if you want one.
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

I received a Midgie several days ago. I love it. My favorite high D I’ve tried. I’m primarily a low whistle player but the Midgie may change that. It’s a very balanced instrument, a wideish bore with large holes. I’d describe the volume as moderate, certainly not a screamer. It’s a beautiful whistle in every way, meticulously made and looks gorgeous. It’s very easy to play, like all MK instruments. Go to Ben Walker’s page if you want to hear it played….. I’m not the reviewer type. Mine is silver. They are all polished anodized. The finish is incredibly attractive.