Would a curved whistle / flute be possible?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
palewine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in inventing a certain kind of flute variation, and want to get feedback on my design, as well as see if it's already been done before. I figure this is a good place to ask.

Would a curved whistle / flute be possible?

Post by palewine »

Imagine the biggest bass whistle (or flute) you can think of. So big that it becomes too long to be made as a straight tube. So you bend it, such that it curves around you. Like this (warning, crude drawing incoming):

For the time being, let's not worry about how you'd finger the note holes. Pretend we have an ingenious solution for that ;)

Just thinking about the vibration of the column of air inside the body of the flute. In almost all flutes that column is straight. Has anyone done an experiment to see how it would sound if the body was curved, or even spiralled? Would it be detrimental to the sound? Would it change where you put note holes? Would it even make a difference at all?
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Would a curved whistle / flute be possible?

Post by PB+J »

I don't see why not: a vibrating column of air doesn't care, i don't think, it it's straight or curved. A sousaphone goes around the body in the way you describe
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Michael Copeland would rest his low d whistle head
on his left shoulder with a flexible poly tube
shoved onto the end of the whistle. The window
being closer to the ear was easier to hear and
the right arm wasn’t extended as far. It made
for more comfortable playing.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Non only are curved flutes possible, they're standard for the bigger sizes.

They're also increasing in popularity for the normal-sized flute due to the ergonomics issues that transverse flutes have.

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
palewine
Tell us something.: I'm interested in inventing a certain kind of flute variation, and want to get feedback on my design, as well as see if it's already been done before. I figure this is a good place to ask.

Post by palewine »

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Richard, I noticed that in those flute pictures, the bend is always before the note holes. The part with holes, that serves to shorten the column of air, is straight. Is that more about ease of mechanical production, on the instrument manufacturer's part? I guess I'm wondering if curving that part would introduce undesirable turbulence into the air, and result in a less clean tone...

That bent head on the normal flute, letting you play it straight down in front of you, is a great idea, I hope it catches on :)

PB+J, as you point out, some brass instruments (like the Sousaphone) have all sorts of curved parts all over. Do you think there's anything about brass instruments that makes them different in this way? Like because the pitch and tone production happens a bit differently, those curves in the instrument maybe don't have an undesirable effect on the tone produced? Or does it truly not make a difference, and it just happens that the two instrument families (woodwind vs brass) just evolved differently like that?
Last edited by palewine on Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
stringbed
Tell us something.: Playing woodwind instruments for over 70 years and deeply interested in their history, manufacture, technology, and performance practices.

Post by stringbed »

The bending on the flutes is all above the toneholes because the keywork is designed for inline mounting. The valves on brass instruments occupy a smaller portion of the total length, placing far less constraint on their “curviness,” but the adjunct tuning slides are also cylindrical. Avoiding random turbulence is very much a factor in wind instrument design but its relevance to the present discussion is, at this point, purely conjectural.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Try googling "ring flute"...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes, it's the rod & axle keywork of the Boehm flute that require portions to be straight.

On keyless instruments, or instruments with short old-style keys, the whole instrument can be curved.

These are carved wood instruments, fingered much like whistles, with a brass-instrument-style mouthpieces, which were popular in the Renaissance.

Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Still kinda popular today! I play the cornetto/zink myself!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

plunk111 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:37 am Still kinda popular today! I play the cornetto/zink myself!
How cool!

At our local Ren Faire there's a guy who is an excellent player, he plays in an ensemble that's the most period-accurate music there. I love the sound! And it's fascinating to watch him play that beast.

As opposed to the people playing red plastic-topped Generation whistles and yellow plastic-mounted modern Highland pipes.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
palewine

Post by palewine »

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone who's responded to my question!