High C recommendations

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Hauke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

High C recommendations

Post by Hauke »

There's a difference, of course, between high D and high C. A wonderful D doesn't mean automatically the high C from the same brand is as good as the D.
Anyone has experiences especially with wonderful balanced high C?
Thanks so much.
ceilidhdog

Re: High C recommendations

Post by ceilidhdog »

I love my Jerry Freeman tweaked high C. I'm no expert, but the whistle is nicely balanced in both octaves, and is a joy to play. FWIW. :)
Hauke
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Post by Hauke »

Thanks ceilidhdog.
I'm going to look for it.
😊
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I have a brass Reyburn high C/D set. The C is excellent. The high D is a bit too loud. The C is less piercing, while still having a good bell note. A lot of whistles the C body may overblow too easily. But because the Reyburn D takes a good push the C actually feels perfect. Its definitely not cheap tho.
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

Narzog, that's a really good thing. I looked for it before. But with your experience I'll take a closer look.
Thank you.
😀
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I've been very happy with my Tony Dixon aluminium Duo, (whistle & flute heads), quite mellow, & not too loud.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

Thanks fatmac.
I tried Dixon before. That wasn't the kind of tone I would prefer.

Did anyone try the different fipples of the Setanta high C? The all brass fipple didn't work for me. The delrin at the high D is wonderful. Could it be the same at the C?
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Hauke wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:26 am Thanks fatmac.
I tried Dixon before. That wasn't the kind of tone I would prefer.

Did anyone try the different fipples of the Setanta high C? The all brass fipple didn't work for me. The delrin at the high D is wonderful. Could it be the same at the C?
the high C should be similar tone wise, but just overblow a bit easier. Assuming its the same head as the D. Imagine that you could go 1 hole lower, and thats probobly about how the bell note will overblow. For the high end, it would be the same thing in reverse. It would be 1 more hole covered for you top note.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You really don't want a C with the same diameter as a d. I have a few old (antique,if you like) ones. They work, are quiet and well balanced but makers started using wider tubes for a reason, making Cs.

Two Cs, two ds, a few Fs :

Both Sindt and Killarney use more chunky bodies (and heads) for the C.

Hard to beat a nice Generation though. :)
My brain hurts

JTU
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Post by JTU »

I’m sure the rule of thumb that you don’t want a C with the same diameter as a D is correct but like any rule of thumb there may be exceptions. I have a Syn D with an interchangeable C body with both bodies sharing the same diameter - obviously the C body is just a little longer. The C body is easier to play and to me is the pick of the two. Same to some extent can be said for my mellow dog C and D bodies which share the same head although there is not the same playability difference between the two bodies as with the Syn. The Syn C may be the best whistle I play so maybe the rule of thumb is that instance is “that you don’t want a D with the same diameter as a C.
Just saying.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

maybe the rule of thumb is that instance is “that you don’t want a D with the same diameter as a C.
I suppose it works both ways. I am not the greatest fan of either narrow bore C whistles or wide bore Ds.
My brain hurts

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Hard to beat a nice Generation though.
I like mine too, C & Bb, they do seem to have got them right, not too loud & not too shrill. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

That's absolutely right.
The C should be wider. I had a C Setanta and a wider bore than the D and the tone was wonderful. Only the fipple didn't work as the fipple of the D did. Maybe because of the material (all brass). I should have had all three kinds of fipple to compare.
I prefer a warm deep tone with less breath noise. And volume well balanced. The C Kelly Busker was nearly unable to play in the second octave. First was a dream, the high notes of the second needed as much pressure as you need to blow up a football.
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

What about the Chieftain High C?