Low D's made out of wood?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TheSinger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing whistles for many years, and figured it was time for me to join the forum. I’ve learned much from reading here, and would like to join the party

Low D's made out of wood?

Post by TheSinger »

After having searched the forum, I figured I'd just as well make a new post, with the following question: Are there many low D's to be found, made out of wood rather than metal? What's the name of the brands, makers etc. And, if you've tried one or more, would you say that there are big enough differences between that one and te metal ones to buy one? :)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Low D's made out of wood?

Post by kkrell »

https://musiquemorneaux.com/low-whistles/
or an older Sweetheart. Conical bore low Ds. Most low Ds in metal are cylindrical, not conical (a least one exception: Copeland). I found the conical whistles to be a bit more flute-like in tone, and generally easier to finger/cover the holes, because of the taper.

Jonathan Swayne is another maker of wood whistles, including a low D.
https://www.jonswayne.com/whistles

Absolutely no objection to a metal low D, and no humidification required.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
veloed
Location: Pacific Northwest - where even the dead trees are green

Post by veloed »

There was a Benedict Stewart maple low D for sale here on Chiff a while back -
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

There’s a Geoffrey Ellis low D for sale at the Irish Flute Store:
https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... llis-low-d
Not sure what the wood is (Blayne would know) but sure looks exotic.
JTU
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Post by JTU »

I was the member who had the Benedict Stewart up for sale. There wasn’t a lot of interest so I still have it. I consciously play it more these days. It is actually too good an instrument for someone of my limited ability.
Has a much more gentle flute like sound than the aluminium Syn and MK low whistles I have with a sweet easy to reach top end. Light in the hands as it is made of rock maple. I would estimate medium in volume and easy blowing.
Cheers
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

My thought on wooden whistles is more on upkeep over sound. Even if it has a different sound, wood needs a lot more upkeep. My metal whistles, I pick up, play, put back down. Same with my delrin flute. But my wooden angus flute, never gets played. Its not worth picking up and playing a random tune or something, just so I can have to dry it, and eventually oil it. I got my delrin flute because I never play my wooden one, so I wanted a flute I can pick up and just play and not worry about if its worth playing or not.

If it was a main instrument you play constantly the wood upkeep can be worth it. but when I have wood and not wood instruments of the same key I have no reason to play the wooden one.

To kinda contribute to the main topic, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I read somewhere that some ellis flutes have a coating or somethign so that they dont need to be dried and oiled. not sure if thats true or not. but a whistle like that would remove the cons of wood. Theres also things that arent actually wood, like Ebonite, which are low upkeep wood alternatives that Ellis also uses.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

I have not played one of these, but Reviol makes a cast bore wooden flute with synthetic interior, which vastly reduces care requirements and stabilizes performance.
I don't see that they have a whistle made the same way, all their whistles are metal, but it's a good idea for a low D.

http://www.reviol.co.nz/HTML/CastBoreFlutes.html
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Phill Bleazey makes wooden low Ds. I like them a lot, but tend to play the flute (again Bleazey) these days.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi DrPhil
The Bleazey low D is effectively one of his flutes with a whistle head. I was in a session with a Bleazey flute player, and we swapped bodies, both worked perfectly with the swapped heads.

In answer to the OP I have Bleazey and Swayne low Ds. I do tend to play the Swayne more than the Bleazey - the weight difference is considerable (Boxwood, I think, versus African Blackwood).
The Bleazey is the only low D I know of that is possible play with finger tips like a high whistle - the tone holes are small (small hole Rudall I presume) and takes a bit more air than the Swayne.
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Anyone have more thoughts on the Swayne and Benedict Low Ds? Has anyone had experience with PA whistles (Peter Aschenbrenner)? I’m speaking of Low D or even Low F wooden whistles.

Thanks in advance for opinions.