Maple Head Reyburn Whistles wanted

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
veloed
antispam: No
Location: Pacific Northwest - where even the dead trees are green

Maple Head Reyburn Whistles wanted

Post by veloed »

Hello everyone,
Looking to purchase maple head whistles by Ronaldo Reyburn in Oregon , in G, F, Eb, Low D or Low C.
I have had all of those keys in the past, but sold them when I was having health issues, and now looking to see
if I can find a few.
I did contact Ronaldo, and was able to get a old stock low D with offset holes from him, and
has made me remember how much I like his maple head whistles. and am now looking to see if any others might be available !-
Many Thanks !

pm me, or my email is : veloguru1@yahoo.com

Best Wishes and Safe Tootling -
Ed Gilkison in Lakebay Washington USA
Narzog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Maple Head Reyburn Whistles wanted

Post by Narzog »

Have you played his Delrin head ones, Alu or Brass, and just like the maple head more? I've never played the maple head, but the Delrin ones are very nice.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

veloed wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:55 pm Hello everyone,
Looking to purchase maple head whistles by Ronaldo Reyburn in Oregon , in G, F, Eb, Low D or Low C.
I have had all of those keys in the past, but sold them when I was having health issues, and now looking to see
if I can find a few.
I did contact Ronaldo, and was able to get a old stock low D with offset holes from him, and
has made me remember how much I like his maple head whistles. and am now looking to see if any others might be available !-
Many Thanks !

pm me, or my email is : veloguru1@yahoo.com

Best Wishes and Safe Tootling -
Ed Gilkison in Lakebay Washington USA
Many years ago I bought a maple head low D. Ronaldo persuade me that t would be much better for me to buy one with offset holes, but it didn't suit me at all. I simply couldn't play it. I had to send the whole thing back and get him to make me a replacement body with inline holes. Sadly, the UK customs at the time charged me not only for the first time of shipping, but full customs for the second time as well, which meant that it ended up costing me over three times the actual price of the whistle. I've never dared buy an instrument from the US again*. Still, the one with inline holes is good.

* Now, since Brexit, I imagine the same thing will apply wherever I buy anything from, if it's outside the UK.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

benhall.1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:27 am Many years ago I bought a maple head low D. Ronaldo persuade me that t would be much better for me to buy one with offset holes, but it didn't suit me at all. I simply couldn't play it. I had to send the whole thing back and get him to make me a replacement body with inline holes. Sadly, the UK customs at the time charged me not only for the first time of shipping, but full customs for the second time as well, which meant that it ended up costing me over three times the actual price of the whistle. I've never dared buy an instrument from the US again*. Still, the one with inline holes is good.

* Now, since Brexit, I imagine the same thing will apply wherever I buy anything from, if it's outside the UK.
OUCH, thats a lot of customs. For some reason USA customs doesnt seem to be interested in taking my money, which is strange because that's the governments favorite thing to do.

At least theres a lot of good whistles made in the UK.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Narzog wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:25 am
benhall.1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:27 am Many years ago I bought a maple head low D. Ronaldo persuade me that t would be much better for me to buy one with offset holes, but it didn't suit me at all. I simply couldn't play it. I had to send the whole thing back and get him to make me a replacement body with inline holes. Sadly, the UK customs at the time charged me not only for the first time of shipping, but full customs for the second time as well, which meant that it ended up costing me over three times the actual price of the whistle. I've never dared buy an instrument from the US again*. Still, the one with inline holes is good.

OUCH, thats a lot of customs. For some reason USA customs doesnt seem to be interested in taking my money, which is strange because that's the governments favorite thing to do.

At least theres a lot of good whistles made in the UK.
True. There are some decent ones. I like Reyburn's sound, though and, once you get a hole configuration which suits you (in my case, very definitely inline) then they're pretty easy to play.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I used to own a Reyburn maple-head Low D and it had a tone I've not encountered on any other whistle, including other Reyburns.

In general the common US thing of trying to create whistles that sound like things other than whistles (Recorders, Boehm flutes, Native American flutes, etc) is dismaying to me, and I'd much rather play whistles that are happy sounding like Irish whistles.

However I will say that I loved the decidedly NAF-like tone of that maple-head Reyburn Low D.

In the end I value playability over tone and that maple-head Reyburn had two other common US neo-whistle attributes: requiring a large quantity of air, and having stiff high notes.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
veloed
Location: Pacific Northwest - where even the dead trees are green

Post by veloed »

Hi Richard, I believe it was me that purchased a couple of your maple head Reyburns some years ago. One had an extra tube - a low C - in aluminum.
I loved them all ! - thank you again for allowing me to purchase them at that time. Wish I had been able to keep them.