Busker low D, thoughts?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TheSinger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing whistles for many years, and figured it was time for me to join the forum. I’ve learned much from reading here, and would like to join the party

Busker low D, thoughts?

Post by TheSinger »

Has anyone tried the newest low D made by Phil Hardy?
The kerry/chieftain was my first favorite low whistle brand, but I haven't bothered with ordering the newest low D. I played my MK low D while listening to this video, and it actually sounded quite similar to the busker low D.
Here's the first video:
https://youtu.be/iHP5dAZLraY
Narzog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Busker low D, thoughts?

Post by Narzog »

Whats funny is for a while I'd see people ask Phil on his videos if he's going to make a busker low D and he always said no, and that he has several low D's he sells already. Its good that he changed his mind tho.

I dont take whistle videos too seriously. I feel like they always sound different in person.

I had a thunderbird F and loved the sound. I defined it as 'goldie ish', in that it had the staple overtone style low whistle sound. Which my MK does not have. So my thoughts is that the busker low D is more similar to that than an MK sound. To my knowledge, Busker are shorter and wider windway thunderbirds. So I expect the busker low D to be slightly louder and more responsive than the thunderbird low D. but it should sound and play otherwise very similarly.

My other main thought is that it will have a bit different of a tuning curve than MK and Goldies (and some others), which I like less. Mk if you look in the window, the sides are filled. goldies have flat sides, so theres no space in the sides. Busker have open sides. This makes it so the second octave breaks more flat and you have to push it up. Which I just dont like and play whistles with filled sides. but many people get used to it and have no problem with it.