Low F - Alba vs Shearwater Feedback from Players?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistler from Oz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle and fiddle player, just getting back into session music now. I play a variety of instruments and love sharing the sound with others. As many of you may experience, the music is a spiritual connection and sacred time for me. The hand of the giver is never empty as they say. Blessings to all. Aaron

Low F - Alba vs Shearwater Feedback from Players?

Post by Whistler from Oz »

Hey Y'all

I'm on the search at the moment for a tuneable Low F Whistle and my budget of up to 150 pound seems to see me hovering around Alba and Shearwater. I'm also open to other whistles around the price range.

I don't have access to play these whistles, so wondering if any owners of a low F (or G) from these makers could share your experience regarding the whistles in relation to :

- backpressure
- breath requirement
- ease (or not) in top octave
- Volume and bell note strength
- are the holes in tune?
- Responsiveness

Any assistance greatly appreciated

Thanks

Aaron
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Low F - Alba vs Shearwater Feedback from Players?

Post by Narzog »

I have an Alba low F and MK Kelpie low F. They have similar tones, id Say the Alba is a hair better, but thats kidna preference. Alba takes a bit more push and uses a bit more air, but has a stronger low end. Alba is a bit easier to get squeaks out of but not a problematic amount. Air use is still good, way less than my Burke I had before. Is responsive.

I have 1 big issue with it, but this could have been fixed in newer models. The second half of the second octave is actually sharp. A lot of whistles have flat second octaves, which you can push into tune. This is sharp, so you cant really do anything about it. You can pull the tuning slide out, but that kinda just messes up the intonation of all the other notes, so isnt worth it. This issue is why I got my kelpie, which is very similar but with perfect tuning across both octaves. This could very well be fixed in newer models. I believe it has to do with the spacer that fills the sides of the tube after the mouthpiece block. Many whistles, like Mk and burke also have these, which make the second octave not flat. But I think it was a little overcompensating, so it makes the upper notes sharp. If someone can vouch that new Alba whistles have perfect tuning, I'd endorse it.

Otherwise my vote goes to spend a bit more and get an MK pro F, I have 0 complaints with my Mk F. Even with its slightly weaker bell note, its still good enough, and is solid in pretty much every department, with no notable issues. Goldie are also supposed to be incredible, havent played one. Burke and Reyburn use too much air which makes them lose points with me. Optima F may be another good option to look into but I haven't played one. But by having the flat side mouthpiece, it should have tuning similar to Goldies, Mk, etc vs the Busker which have open sides and will have the 'flat' second octave similar to more trad whistles which I dont like. But if you like that style, also look into buskers.
Whistler from Oz
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle and fiddle player, just getting back into session music now. I play a variety of instruments and love sharing the sound with others. As many of you may experience, the music is a spiritual connection and sacred time for me. The hand of the giver is never empty as they say. Blessings to all. Aaron

Re: Low F - Alba vs Shearwater Feedback from Players?

Post by Whistler from Oz »

Narzog,
Thanks for the response mate. All good points to take in.

I've previously owned a Goldie low D which helps give me some sort of benchmark.

Will sit with it and see what presents going forward. Goldie F would be the pinnacle, but sounds like MK's are a nice option also.

Also never know what could show up on the second hand market.

Best regards
Aaron
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"