Bass low C Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TheSinger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing whistles for many years, and figured it was time for me to join the forum. I’ve learned much from reading here, and would like to join the party

Bass low C Whistle

Post by TheSinger »

Which low C do you play, and why? And if you've had others you don't play anymore, why not? :)
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Bass low C Whistle

Post by Narzog »

Only played one by a less known maker that I was my least favorite whistle I've ever played by a large margin. Was a big bore that used a ton of air, but also overblew insanely easily, had no low end that was insanely quiet, but was still really loud in the high end, and needed insane breath control to play anything remotely fast without it flipping octaves. Not saying the maker because I dont want to trash on his reputation, hes prob made improvements and better whistles than this one. I got this one used on ebay for a really good deal, so it could have been an older model.

Many low C's seem to have a reputation for overblowing a bit easily. Which makes sense. Most of them are just low D's with longer tubes, which is going to overblow easier. So unless its something like a Goldie which had a really strong low end as a low d, the low C will be a bit weak.

From my research Alba seem to be the 'strongest', or close to, low end low C. big bore, takes more push, stiffer high end.

I'd expect burkes to also have a strong low end, as burkes do. But prob uses insane air. My Burke low F used more air than any of my other low D's, so I cant imagine the low C lol. I wish I could play one to find out, for all I know the windway gets shorter to help air efficiency. Any readers who have had burke low F and D, how is the air use on the D compared to the F?

I've been considering picking up an Alba but I dont truly "need" one so I've been waiting trying to find a good deal. I was considering an MK until you told me its the same tube as the low D haha. I like strong low end whistles.
trill

Post by trill »

I have one of these Low-Cs: https://drjohnlaurence.com/product/248029

My impressions:

1. Nicely hand-crafted, especially the block+beak.

2. Play+sound:
a) air requirements similar to Low-Ds I've played.
c) plenty of room in low octave before breaking to 2nd.
c) tuning+octaves just fine to my (tin) ears.

3. Some features I like:
a) offset/conformal hole pattern (pinky for me on the last hole)
b) chamfered windway block
c) nicely designed tuning slide
d) bell at the bottom
e) very nice price

Honestly, I've played 4 low-priced, simply made PVC low whistles. This one is absolutely the best.

trill
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Never played one, but there are good demonstrations online of several low C's: Reviol, Alba, Q-whistle, by Nathaniel Dowell.
For sure, the response of the first octave would be critical, or else you'd be buying a low D or alto. The deep
meditative range of the low C is in effect also approached by the tenor recorders, which I've had and really liked.
It's a range of sounds with unique possibilities. Best of luck finding what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNhAOrKKQAQ
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Burke! Very strong performer in the low C. The bell note is thunderous. Breath requirements are manageable. Very nice tone.
Tremendouz
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

Post by Tremendouz »

I have a Carbony low C with close finger spacing, and a Goldfinch.

The Carbony is incredibly ergonomic, feels like playing an alto G whistle or something because of the close spacing and incredibly small holes. The sound is very quiet, airy, mellow, muffled, and has a unique character.
Doesn't need a lot of air but the bell note doesn't jump to the 2nd octave unless I want.

I bought a Goldfinch low C to have an alternative sound character at my disposal. It has a very clear, pure sound compared to the Carbony and requires very little air. It's quiet but louder overall than Carbony, but Carbony is more balanced between the octaves.
I requested slightly smaller finger holes than normal so mine might not represent the normal design of theirs very well—for example, I was told the sound will be a bit more muted. Mine doesn't have super strong bell note and switching from 2nd octave bell note to first octave feels a bit slow. Furthermore, I have some troubles sealing the holes because of my slim hands which makes the bell note more difficult to achieve without squeaking it, but that's not the fault of the whistle.

So, Carbony is incredibly comfortable to play but the sound doesn't fit every mix. Goldfinch cuts through a mix better when that's needed but is much harder to play for me because it's a "normal" low C.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I now play a Colin Goldie Low C which is wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TGU5BuKzcw&t=50s

For years I played a Susato Low C which was a very nice player. It had an angled neck which made for an easy comfortable reach.

My feeling about Susatos is that they get better as they get bigger. I don't care for the high Susatos, but their Low D is quite good and better yet was that Low C.

Susato makes the Low C with keys nowadays (mine was keyless) which makes them super-easy to finger.

I had a Reviol Low Whistle set, one head three bodies, for Low C, Low D, and Low Eb. All of them played nicely.

About Burke, I've not tried their Low C but I used to have a half-dozen Burkes ranging from High D to Low D and all sizes played the same, so I expect their Low C to play that way too.

For any given size the Burke has a wider bore, fatter body, wider windway, and takes significantly more air than corresponding whistles by Goldie, MK, Reviol, Chieftain, etc.

I found the Burke Low D tiring to play, and I'm pretty sure their Low C would be fatter and take more air than their Low D. (Unlike most makers who use a particular diameter of tubing for two or more sizes of whistle, Burke has dedicated tubing for each key, thus maintaining a consistent length-to-width ratio which makes their whistles play remarkably alike across the various keys.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle