The new Carbony bass whistles with close finger spacing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tremendouz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

The new Carbony bass whistles with close finger spacing

Post by Tremendouz »

Has anyone tried these? I like my low C and there's no way I could play a "normal" bass whistle so I'm intrigued despite the $650 (plus 24% import tax for me) price but I can't find sound examples of these whistles.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: The new Carbony bass whistles with close finger spacing

Post by Narzog »

WOW those cost a lot. Because they have the special chimney things the hole spacing is probobly really doable for most people, unlike other bass whistles. My first worry would be bore size and stuff. I've dabbled with making some big whistles and its really hard to get them to play well. It either overblows too easily and has a weak low end or it takes insane air. This is obviously just my bad attempts at making them, the Carbony are likely much better. I look forward to seeing some reviews on them eventually. Sadly very far out of my budget.
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Post by Flotineer »

I have not played one of these. I did own a low d with extenders for about a year. The spacing of the holes was about the same as a generation b-flat. The tuning was spot-on and the air requirements were moderate, which is to say about the same as my flute. In the end, I just got more out of the flute and wasn’t playing the whistle.
Tremendouz
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

Post by Tremendouz »

There's a video on one of them now. I want it but damn, I just don't have that kind of money. https://youtu.be/mdUdTAn0_rc

Perhaps I should try my luck with a Shearwater bass Bb or something. Can always sell it if I can't play it.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Tremendouz wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:00 pm There's a video on one of them now. I want it but damn, I just don't have that kind of money. https://youtu.be/mdUdTAn0_rc

Perhaps I should try my luck with a Shearwater bass Bb or something. Can always sell it if I can't play it.
Alba also makes bass whistles, that actually seem quite good. IDK how they compare to shearwater. My thought from her video on the carbony, is they dont seem very 'strong' in the low end. Which is kinda sad when its a super huge low whistle but it has a weak low end. Alba seem to have quite good low end for such a big whistle. I've been considering picking one up., But cant decide if I want to go low C or Bb. and I'm waiting in case I get better at flutes, I may get a bass flute of some sort. Whistles just by design start running into issues when they get super big. I feel like flutes solve some of these issues but I haven't ever played a bass flute so IDK if thats overly true or not.
Tremendouz

Post by Tremendouz »

Narzog wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:44 pm
Tremendouz wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:00 pm There's a video on one of them now. I want it but damn, I just don't have that kind of money. https://youtu.be/mdUdTAn0_rc

Alba also makes bass whistles, that actually seem quite good. IDK how they compare to shearwater. My thought from her video on the carbony, is they dont seem very 'strong' in the low end. Which is kinda sad when its a super huge low whistle but it has a weak low end. Alba seem to have quite good low end for such a big whistle. I've been considering picking one up., But cant decide if I want to go low C or Bb. and I'm waiting in case I get better at flutes, I may get a bass flute of some sort. Whistles just by design start running into issues when they get super big. I feel like flutes solve some of these issues but I haven't ever played a bass flute so IDK if thats overly true or not.
I have a Carbony low C and while it's very quiet (and airy!), the low notes don't jump the octave unless I want to. That said, I'm used to soft-blowing whistles such as Dixon low D and Goldfinch low D and low C so I can't compare to something like Goldie or MK Pro.