Generation Bb whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Generation Bb whistles

Post by AuLoS303 »

I have one of their nickel whistles in C and its not great, but then its a cheap whistle. I've noticed a lot of people love the Bb whistle in general, and today I watched a nice video of a brass Generation Bb being played and it sounded great (I will no doubt be getting one at some time...) The player told me that their C whistles are bad, but their F and Bb are great. Which seems strange seeing as they come from the same factory (I assume)
But also what is it about Bb whistles in general that so many love? Its only 2 semitones lower than a C and 2.5 lower than a D. I suppose its because the pipe is longer, and wider (?) giving a warmer tone?
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Generation Bb whistles

Post by pancelticpiper »

I love Generations in general.

Yes each size has its unique sound, not better or worse, just unique.

The thing about Generations is that they've varied quite a bit over the years, and within each time-period there can be quite a bit of variation from whistle to whistle of the same size. Even whistles made in the same batch or run will vary from whistle to whistle.

This means that IMHO it's meaningless to say "C Generations play like _______" or "Bb Generations play like ________".

For example, I bought a C Generation back around 1980 that I still play. I've yet to play a C by any maker at any price that I like as much.

However though I've tried a huge number of Bb Generations over the last 45 years I've never come across one for sale that I liked. (I have a drawer full of mediocre ones.)

This was finally solved when I got a Jerry Freeman Generation Bb that plays exactly how I like whistles to play, just like my trusty Generation C.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

When I first started out with whistles, I bought 2 complete sets of Generation whistles, brass & nickel, they all sound good & play easily.

I'm guessing that I bought mine when they were at their best. :D

The Bb & A whistles are favoured because of their tone & easy playability for most people, whilst the low G & low F are bought because they have that mellow low tone, without being too big. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

fatmac wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:02 am
The Bb & A whistles are favoured because of their tone & easy playability for most people, whilst the low G & low F are bought because they have that mellow low tone, without being too big. :thumbsup:
If only Generation, or Feadôg for that matter, would extend their range. Generation only go to Bb. Still better than many, who only tend to offer D or C.
I'd love to try a mid-low whistle, something like a G or F. I had a low D but I couldn't get away with it even with the Piper's hold
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

AuLoS303 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:08 am
If only Generation would extend their range. Generations only go to Bb.
That's where Jerry Freeman steps in. He takes Generation Bb heads (with his modifications) and makes new bigger bodies to go down to A, G, and even lower.

I have a self-made Generation A and a Freeman Generation G and I love them both.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

pancelticpiper wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:30 am
That's where Jerry Freeman steps in. He takes Generation Bb heads (with his modifications) and makes new bigger bodies to go down to A, G, and even lower.

I have a self-made Generation A and a Freeman Generation G and I love them both.
Does he still make em? And are they available in the UK?
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

One stockist, unfortunately all out of stock presently - https://bigwhistle.co.uk/freeman-tweaked-whistles/

(Personally, at those prices, I'd be looking at Dixon or Shearwater.)
Keith.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

fatmac wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:45 am One stockist, unfortunately all out of stock presently - https://bigwhistle.co.uk/freeman-tweaked-whistles/

(Personally, at those prices, I'd be looking at Dixon or Shearwater.)
Yea that does seem steep.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

AuLoS303 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:16 pm Its only 2 semitones lower than a C and 2.5 lower than a D.
Bb is four semitones lower than D.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Here's one player who made good use of the Bb Generations:

Kieran Collins - Maude Miller/Dunmore Lasses

That would be the first one that would come to my mind anyway.

Other occasional users have been spotted though :D :

My brain hurts

AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Thought that was Mary Bergin at first
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:21 am Thought that was Mary Bergin at first
It is, isn't it?
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

The photo is showing her playing a Bb, I think she used an Eb more regularly though, (just what I'm remembering reading here).

Kieren Collins video is showing a Bb being played.
Keith.