3 reels from Darach de Brun RIP

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

3 reels from Darach de Brun RIP

Post by kenny »

Posted on Youtube [ audio only ] in memory of Dublin whistle player Darach de Brun, who departed from us 10 years ago this day, 24/06/2022.
Darach was a member of a band called "Drantan" and he recorded these 3 reels of his as a whistle / flute duet with Gerard Byrne. The titles are "The Leprechaun / The Fairy Rath / An Phiseog [ The Superstition ]. There's a distinct jazzy feel to them and to be honest, I don't think they quite measure up to his classics such as "The Maple Leaf" and "The Man Of Aran", but that's just my opinion.
The other 2 members of the band were Liam Davis [ vocals / mandola / bodhran ], and Liam Og Mac Daibheis [ vocals / guitar ]. I'm sure they and Gerard are remembering Darach tonight, as am I. RIP.
https://youtu.be/1NX7t7-40jA
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kenny

Re: 3 reels from Darach de Brun RIP

Post by kenny »

Sorry, but i've removed this from Youtube. There were too many glitches in the recording / upload - didn't do the music justice.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hard to believe it's ten years already.

Shame you had to pull the upload Kenny but kudos for keeping the memory of Darach alive.

We buried a friend out in Quilty this morning. Rakes of musicians there and really lovely music during the funeral mass in the church in Miltown. We're loosing musicians all the time but on a day like this the memories and the sadness for the loss of all the ones that have left us are all the more intense.

It's a shame a collection of DdeB's compositions was never realised. I remember him talking, one night in Friel's, about a cycle of tunes around the beehive that he was working on. Some of those leaked online but a book or even an online collection bringing all material together would be nice. Perhaps ITMA could be persuaded to do something there?

the session.org lists a few (for a good part through Kenny's efforts) but only the tip of the iceberg, I imagine.
My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Following the post above, a member of this forum (thanks John, they made my day) sent me pdfs for two little books published privately by Darach de Brun . There are a total of 29 tunes of his own composition included in them, most of which I didn't know. Stuff is out there, even if we don't always know it. Little treasures coming our way when we least expect them. :thumbsup:
My brain hurts

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Thanks Peter

I can only lay claim to one of them. Kenny sent me on the other.

Darach was a typesetter by trade so he would have had no problem producing little booklets of his own tunes.

Keep well

John