Another Killarney convert

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Another Killarney convert

Post by avanutria »

I finally decided to go for it and ordered a Killarney D, which I'd been eyeing up for a while. 89 Euro shipped from Ireland, and the Euro to dollar rate is very nearly 1:1 at the moment so the cost to me after my credit card converted it was $95 and change. (Edited to add - Paypal gave me the option to convert it through them but it was a better rate through the credit card since mine doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.) I ordered it on 5/24 and it arrived here on the US west coast on 6/2, so a little over a week transit time.

It looks great, and the sound is wonderful. The name and key are etched into the front of the head. It is louder than most of my whistles (I often play a Laughing whistle or a narrow bore Hoover) and I could easily see this being a great session whistle. Tone is clear and strong throughout the second octave. There is a little metal nub on either side of the head as part of the construction and it has the added benefit of preventing rollaway whistles from escaping the table! It came with a padded nonlabelled single whistle case with a velcro closure.

I have been looking for some low A and G whistles and Killarney only goes down to Bb at the moment but I wouldn't hesitate to order lower whistles if they made them. I hope they do in the future.

Just have to find or create some sessions now!
bigsciota
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Another Killarney convert

Post by bigsciota »

avanutria wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:52 pm It is louder than most of my whistles (I often play a Laughing whistle or a narrow bore Hoover) and I could easily see this being a great session whistle.
I always find it funny when people talk about the Killarney being a “quiet” or “narrow bore” whistle. It’s no Susato but I was in a session yesterday with banjo, pipes, guitar, bodhran and myself on flute, I could hear the whistle player next to me well whenever she played. She was playing a brass Killarney, and certainly wasn’t drowning anyone out but you could hear her fine. If I were leading a session I might use a Burke, or maybe take it out for a big loud affair, but I’m glad I was sitting next to a Killarney and not a Susato or a Chieftain for the night, I can tell you that!

I’ve had my Killarney for 7ish years, still the one that comes as close as possible to a “perfect whistle” for me, playing-wise as well as tone.