Most Forgiving Low D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LynnB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Most Forgiving Low D?

Post by LynnB »

Hey all. I haven’t been active here in several years. I tend to cycle thru my hobbies. Anyway, I have been playing my whistles lately and I’ve always been drawn to the lower registers (and feel they are kinder to the neighbors.) I have a low D Susato, I picked up for a steal, but I find it very difficult to play. I just cannot get a good seal on the bottom notes using piper’s grip.

I’m looking at the MK Pro and am intrigued by their mention of “ergonomic” hole placement. Basically I’m wondering if trying another model would help and if there are easier ones to start with. I’m not set on the MK but I do remember those being well liked. My hands are average sized for a woman and I’ve played various flutes for years and I’d say my finger flexibility is pretty good, but I guess the back of my fingers aren’t fat enough to make a good seal.

Would love some opinions before I pull the trigger. I’m amenable to looking at a higher key as well, but I do love the low D sound.
fatmac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Most Forgiving Low D?

Post by fatmac »

Easy players in low D (for me) are the Dixon ABS & the Howard, good tone from both.

Otherwise, I'd suggest seriously looking at a low F, (I have an MK Kelpie & a Shearwater).
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
trill

Post by trill »

LynnB,

I tried my first Low-D 20 years ago.

Since then, I've played or owned about 20 different Low-Ds.

My favorites for both sound and hole-placement are (in no particular order) : MK Pro, Onyx by Walt Sweet, Reyburn Tight-Voice. All using pipers grip.

Also, another that I'd like to try when funds permit: Carbony "close spacing". The "close spacing" is achieved using a radically novel design feature called "chimney extenders". So far, the reviews are quite favorable, indicating accessibility without the need for pipers grip.

See a review by Grey Larsen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTsfOVPwPo

trill
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Measuring from the hole centers, the last 3 holes on the MK are about 2 & 30 or 31/32 inches. Poorly measured with a tape measure because my caliper is somewhere downstairs lol. So make sure this is actually less than the Susato. I find the MK extremely easy to play but my hands are also very big. MK hole sizes also arent too big. Some, like the howard, I believe have bigger holes which can make it harder to cover them.

As mentioned Carbony has the 'close spacing' low D but I'm pretty sure the normal version is still closer spacing than most because its conical. I could be wrong though I dont have one.

Also theres a the Burke EZ low D. It has easier hole spacing. But my Burke F already used ore air than my MK low D, so I don't want to imagine the /Burke Unless the low D is somehow equal or less air use then the low F.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Just be aware that moving Hole 6 higher up the tube makes the note E sharper.

To correct the sharpness, makers make the hole smaller.

More Hole 6 is out of position and the smaller it is the weaker the note E is.

It's a compromise between how comfortable you want your lower-hand position to be versus how sharp and/or weak an E note you're willing to accept.

Any maker who claims to be able to suspend the laws of physics and acoustics is either fooling themselves, or trying to fool you.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tremendouz
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

Post by Tremendouz »

Narzog wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:25 am As mentioned Carbony has the 'close spacing' low D but I'm pretty sure the normal version is still closer spacing than most because its conical. I could be wrong though I dont have one.
Correct, the spacing is even closer than the ABS Dixon. I don't have a comparison pic with the Dixon and I don't have the Carbony anymore but here's the Carbony low D with normal finger spacing next to a Goldfinch low D. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 141155.jpg
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Tremendouz wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:23 am Correct, the spacing is even closer than the ABS Dixon. I don't have a comparison pic with the Dixon and I don't have the Carbony anymore but here's the Carbony low D with normal finger spacing next to a Goldfinch low D. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 141155.jpg
Ya thats very close spacing already. If someone wanted the carbony I would get the normal over the 'close spacing' one. Saves a lot of money and would still feel like playing a low whistle.
LynnB

Post by LynnB »

trill wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:20 am
Also, another that I'd like to try when funds permit: Carbony "close spacing". The "close spacing" is achieved using a radically novel design feature called "chimney extenders". So far, the reviews are quite favorable, indicating accessibility without the need for pipers grip.

See a review by Grey Larsen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTsfOVPwPo

trill
Wow, that’s a really interesting model. I’m also intrigued by their “quiet” high whistles. I have to admit, part of the reason I don’t play as often as I like is that I’m paranoid about being heard by neighbors. They are pretty pricey, but their products are really unique. Now I’m wondering what other neat stuff I’ve missed in the last few years.
Narzog

Post by Narzog »

LynnB wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:33 pm Wow, that’s a really interesting model. I’m also intrigued by their “quiet” high whistles. I have to admit, part of the reason I don’t play as often as I like is that I’m paranoid about being heard by neighbors. They are pretty pricey, but their products are really unique. Now I’m wondering what other neat stuff I’ve missed in the last few years.
Once I saw a guy selling a small bore carbony high d so I asked him if its noticeably quieter and he said no its still pretty loud. Not sure if that's the same model as their quiet one or if its an older version they dont make anymore. I have a similar issue with high whistles, they are too loud and shrill in the upper range, it bugs me. I'd like a much quieter one.
trill

Post by trill »

LynnB wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:33 pm . . . I’m paranoid about being heard by neighbors. . .
*** trigger-warning *** thread-drift ! !

Here's a way to make a whistle quieter:

Both volume + air-requirements go waayyy down.

Really helps learning the fingerings for a tune.

I call it "neighbor-friendly".

trill
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Lynn,

I'm like you-I drift in and out of my hobbies, in and out of consciousness (just getting old), but still manage to check in here once in a blue, like today. I saw you wanted a forgiving Low D, easy to play, and it brought to my mind one I have that I wish was around early on when I was looking for my fist ones. It is an Optima Low D made by Phil Hardy's Kerrywhistles in the UK. It's a really nice whistle, with a great tone, and very easy to afford. The non-tunable is even easier to buy, if you don't have the need to tune to recordings or other people. I found early on that I liked the solid tube without the collars, and sometimes their voices were more to my liking, maybe because there is less to deaden the sound. Well, I have a tunable Optima, and it sounds great, so no loss there that I need to know about, or search for in another for me! It is not a loud whistle, but you can put more air into it and make it louder if you wish.

On Phil's website he has a video section with many playing his whistles, and there is one you can get a good idea for the tone by listening to Orla Macauliffe play it on the 11th page after you get to this main page:

https://www.kerrywhistles.com/videos

And here is where I first fell in love with the Optima tone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ44gbJe3LQ

The pages aren't numbered, and there isn't a direct link or I would have posted it here for you. But there is a wealth of info and music, etc on his website that makes it worthwhile for anyone to check out themselves.

Phil had another Bits-and-Bobs video sale just this June, and it's listed on his website. Don't know if any are left, but just in case you wanted to check it out, it's there too, under the NEWS tab up top.

I too am very conscious of my neighbors who live all around me. If you want another fairly quiet one, that is a little more breathy, a Chieftain V4 makes me smile too when I play it, and that one is non-tunable that I have. I got it in a Bits-and-Bobs video sale Phil had a while back, and it's the one he plays in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLI1Q_ycCM0

Hope this helps, or at least inspires some of you like it did me. Have a blast! OK, time for a nap.
~~~~
Barry