The history of flageolets and tin whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stringbed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing woodwind instruments for over 70 years and deeply interested in their history, manufacture, technology, and performance practices.

The history of flageolets and tin whistles

Post by stringbed »

I’m a newcomer to this forum but have a long path as a musical instrument historian behind me. I can’t find any active discussion of the material covered in the blog post linked to below and am therefore starting a new one. There will be a Part 2 follow-up specifically about the origins of the penny whistle and tin whistle. I’ll also post a link here when it’s online.

https://loopholes.blog/fife-flageolet/
stringbed
Tell us something.: Playing woodwind instruments for over 70 years and deeply interested in their history, manufacture, technology, and performance practices.

Re: The history of flageolets and tin whistles

Post by stringbed »

Early references to the term “penny whistle” suggest that it may initially have designated a flageolet. Robert Clarke is widely regarded as having invented a derivate “tin whistle” in 1843. However, contemporary sources both attest the label prior to that date and name makers who preceded Clarke in the production of such instruments. The term “penny tin whistle” also gained currency. This is discussed in an essay (Part 2 of the one noted in the preceding message) at:

https://loopholes.blog/penny-tin-whistle/
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The full image of Stevenson is actually more interesting than the heavily cropped one included with the article:

You have to wonder what they were playing
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

stringbed wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:56 amRobert Clarke is widely regarded as having invented a derivate “tin whistle” in 1843. However, contemporary sources both attest the label prior to that date and name makers who preceded Clarke in the production of such instruments.
It's scant, but archaeological evidence suggests that the fipple flute concept is an old one that predates Clarke's time by far. Clarke's name is remembered not for inventing the whistle outright, as some suggest - he did not - but for bringing the whistle into mass production (or at least he was the first to succeed at it). This revolution in whistle production was of such a degree that it democratized the instrument in a way never before seen; just about anybody who couldn't craft a whistle could afford one, and the product was consistent. Were it not for his lead, this website might not even exist.

EDIT: I had forgotten that whistles were well known in Ben Franklin's time - it seems he was something of a fan - and apparently they were relatively inexpensive even then:

Whistles: A Letter from Benjamin Franklin
Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:22 am You have to wonder what they were playing
Err ... drones?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
stringbed

Post by stringbed »

You have to wonder what they were playing
The two guys at the sides might as well be holding sticks and clearly didn’t take any cues from Stevenson about how a whistle is held. It’s also unclear whether the fiddlers both knew what they were doing.
Last edited by stringbed on Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Well, just a bit before Ben´s time we have Samuel Pepys playing Merrily Kiss the Quaker´s Wife for King Charles II and his mistress in chambers for dancing. I would imagine Ben was familiar with The Girl I Left Behind me. Since he was a man who enjoyed his tipple, he would have known To Anacreon in Heaven, which we Colonials know as the Melody of the Stars and Stripes Forever. Another popular air would have been Flow Gently, Sweet Afton.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:47 pm ... To Anacreon in Heaven, which we Colonials know as the Melody of the Stars and Stripes Forever.
Oops, Bob: that should be The Star Spangled Banner.

Didn't know that Samuel Pepys was a documented whistleplayer too!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

:oops:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:37 pm :oops:

Bob
Meh. We know what we mean; but I thought that a little accuracy was a good thing for the sake of our international readership's elucidation. I tried out TSSB, BTW, and it fits the Ionian mode (D scale on the D whistle) with only a couple of G#s to tackle. If you don't fear the shrillness, it works well in G, too. The Stars And Stripes Forever? Oy. You'd need a whole band full of whistles and a truckload of half-holing. I'll leave that to my more enterprising betters.
stringbed

Post by stringbed »

Didn't know that Samuel Pepys was a documented whistleplayer too!
Samuel Pepys’s diary includes many references to playing the French flageolet (two thumbholes and four fingerholes), making him the instrument’s most famous 17th-century exponent. There is a useful compilation of relevant snippets at https://flageolets.com/articles/pepys.php and a full list of terser references at https://www.pepysdiary.com/search/?q=flageolet&k=d&o=r. He varied the way he spelled flageolet but never referred to it as a whistle (a word that he used to designate birdsong and the human action with puckered lips, except for a single reference to a “boatswain’s whistle”).

It seems likely that the term penny whistle initially designated the French flageolet and followed to being a synonym for the English flageolet, before acquiring its current sense. However, the first use of the term flageolet designated a willow whistle and the adjective penny was often used to indicate a child’s toy. A reference to an unspecified whistle in an older text cannot simply be taken as evidence of the now familiar six-holes-on-top form.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

stringbed wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:40 am However, the first use of the term flageolet designated a willow whistle ...
Not altogether surprising. Now this is utter conjecture on my part, but I've always considered the willow whistle - regardless of tonehole number or arrangement - to be the prototype from which all others arise, and the dearth of physical evidence due to more ancient fippled instruments being largely made from such easily-gotten yet ephemeral materials. The only defense I have for this assertion is the continuing folk tradition of making willow whistles to this day. I'm very comfortable with presuming that the tradition goes waaaaay back.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:48 pm I tried out TSSB, BTW, and it fits the Ionian mode (D scale on the D whistle) with only a couple of G#s to tackle.
Strange as it sounds to us today, these sharpened fourths weren't written (and don't seem to be expected) in The Anacreontic Song, aka To Anacreon in Heaven.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

the dearth of physical evidence due to more ancient fippled instruments being largely made from such easily-gotten yet ephemeral materials.
The oldest known examples are mostly bone and they are very old indeed. In fact the oldest known musical instrument is a vulture bone flute (the Hohe Fels flute), estimated around 40000 years old
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:24 pm
the dearth of physical evidence due to more ancient fippled instruments being largely made from such easily-gotten yet ephemeral materials.
The oldest known examples are mostly bone and they are very old indeed. In fact the oldest known musical instrument is a vulture bone flute (the Hohe Fels flute), estimated around 40000 years old
Not to deny them their considerable due, but aren't those notched flutes? I'm suspecting that for the longest time, the fipple (as we know and think of it) was more often readily and easily served by making it from wood-and-bark construction.
Peter Duggan wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:22 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:48 pm I tried out TSSB, BTW, and it fits the Ionian mode (D scale on the D whistle) with only a couple of G#s to tackle.
Strange as it sounds to us today, these sharpened fourths weren't written (and don't seem to be expected) in The Anacreontic Song, aka To Anacreon in Heaven.
Just tried it with the unsharpened fourth, and I must say it works quite well in its own way, too.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:35 pm Just tried it with the unsharpened fourth, and I must say it works quite well in its own way, too.
What I don't know is whether TSSB started, or was ever done, that way.

[Edit: but checking reminds me that its first published sheet form has the sharpened notes.]
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?