Low D easy uppers

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
shalomjj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Low D easy uppers

Post by shalomjj »

What is the best slow D to play that has good high notes and is not overpowering but really sounds good?
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: Low D easy uppers

Post by Mikethebook »

You've not had any replies . . . maybe because your question is rather vague. Do I take it you are wanting a Low D with an easy-to-access upper second octave? It would be helpful to know how much you want to spend.

The Dixon tapered bore Low D comes quickly to mind. It is cheap but easy to play and has one of the easiest second octaves you'll come across. I'm just returning to the whistle after a three-year break due to injury and have bought one. A Setanta would be another choice but they don't seem to be available right now; lovely balanced whistle with an easy-to-reach upper octave. Reviols are popular with some; very easy upper octave but I find the bottom note too sensitive for my liking. And if you talk to Colin Goldie he can undoubtedly make you a Low D to suit you though you will probably have to wait. That's a few to consider. Hope it helps.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Low D easy uppers

Post by fatmac »

I'll add a Howard to the Dixon, if you want to spend more, mine is quite an easy player.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.