A sad Lir whistle story

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BabisSougias
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Fan of the whistle sound, owner of several whistles and interested in learning more about this instrument.

A sad Lir whistle story

Post by BabisSougias »

Greetings fellow whistlers! My first thread here. :)

I received my brand new Lir whistle from Lir company 12 days ago(Feb. 21st). Sadly after the unboxing I found out my whistle looked a bit rough, not well finished and had some weird markings on the mouthpiece. To my eyes it looked like it was somewhat used and definitely not new. I own more than 20 whistles over the years and I've never had an issue with any of them straight out of the box. I don't expect them to look flawless but I wish to have a fresh look, especially those at the more pricey range.

First thing I did was to contact Lir company via email to report my issue and attach some photos. After 2 days they replied, apologising for that and they suggested Ι return back the whistle and send me a new one. My obvious next question was if they are willing to cover the shipping cost from Greece to Ireland after I'd send them the receipt from my local post office. I don't want to pay extra money for something that's not my fault. As a result I didn't get any answer. So I sent a second email asking the same thing but again, no reply. I even sent a third email but still no answer after almost 10 days. Also I used the 24/7 live chat on ther website and nobody answered there. And of course their facebook chat doen't work too.

Right now I'm in desperate mode, having packed the whistle ready for shipping and still don't have any assurance from Lir company if they are going to cover me up. In my case both quality control and customer service haven't worked for me in 2022. I have no other way to contact them and find a solution so I guess I'll stick with this whistle.

Please, don't ask me about the sound of it because I haven't tried it. I'm sure that their sound is amazing.
I don't know how to post photos here but if anyone interested to see the condition of the whistle, pm me.

Happy whistling and sorry for the long post! :)
Mr.Gumby

Re: A sad Lir whistle story

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Very recently a similar experience was posted. It resulted in a partial refund.
My brain hurts

Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Sorry to hear your whistle came in bad condition. Sadly returns almost never cover return cost, so I'd assume not. If I buy anything foreign I assume I cant return because return cost usually isn't worth it. In which case I'd say to sell it but you may have a harder time doing that if its damaged obviously.

As Gumby said you may be able to get a partial refund. Then if you end up liking how it plays you at least got a decent deal, or if you sell it for a loss, you can sell it for a lot less and not lose money.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

If you are returning faulty goods for a refund or replacement, then the company must bear the cost. This is EU law, you can look it up.

They must either pick up the item, send you something like a pre-paid posting label or, if you agree, arrange to reimburse you any costs.

If, as you say, they have agreed to replace the whistle, then they are accepting fault and the law does not allow the customer to be out of pocket.

Keep raising the question and when they notice you again I'm sure they'll do the correct thing and contact you about it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

On the earlier thread, the link I posted above, I linked to relevant EU Consumer rights information, which may be of use.

Your rights with regards to refunds and returns are listed here.
My brain hurts

ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:27 pm On the earlier thread, the link I posted above, I linked to relevant EU Consumer rights information, which may be of use.

Your rights with regards to refunds and returns are listed here.
A clarification ... that article starts with the words "What happens if you changed your mind about something you bought online?"

It's not about returning faulty/substandard goods but about returning goods to physical shops or online if you decide you simply don't want them anymore.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There was a bit there somewhere about faulty goods but I was flipping through a few pages quickly with half an eye on something else. :oops:

It is, however, about returning goods, for whatever reason, and clear about who is responsible for the cost of returns (the seller).

It's a useful site to browse around.
My brain hurts

BabisSougias
Tell us something.: Fan of the whistle sound, owner of several whistles and interested in learning more about this instrument.

Post by BabisSougias »

Τhank you all for your replies! I'll try to figure it out via your links and I hope I'll get back with the end (hopefully good) of this story :)
Hauke
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Post by Hauke »

Yes, it's me who had nearly the same story. I really wonder about the company. What's going on there?
BabisSougias

Post by BabisSougias »

Hauke wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:05 pm Yes, it's me who had nearly the same story. I really wonder about the company. What's going on there?
Ηauke how did your story end? Ι hope they've sorted out for you.
Hauke
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Post by Hauke »

Gia sou Babi.
I also wrote some mails. My whistle also looked used and had a (like a) hit at the mouthpiece. I wanted to send the whistle back or a 50% refund to keep it. So after some days a "Seán" told me I'd get the 50%. That was okay for me. Hope your story will end similiar successful.
Best wishes.
Hauke
BabisSougias

Post by BabisSougias »

Gia sou Hauke!
In my case, I managed to get in touch after several days. Αfter examining the photos by the quality control manager, they suggested that there is no reason to send it back to them and instead they sent me a new one.
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

That sounds good... if the new one will be okay.
But I guess they have to change the way they act immediately.
Greets to Greece.
Hauke
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

The plated silver removes slowly at the finger holes. After some weeks. No, I don't! use polish cream or something else. That's really really disappointing.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Wow now thats some low quality. That has to be plated for a really short amount of time. Probably to cut costs. The more I hear about Lir whistles, the more I think they are outsourced and definitely not hand made. Theres so many things where the quality and quality control just aren't there.