High Eb stainless whistle new “foot joint “ design

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dreday
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started playing recorders until I found Kerry whistles and fell in love with the tone, different sizes and low maintenance.1

High Eb stainless whistle new “foot joint “ design

Post by Dreday »

Mr.Gumby

Re: High Eb stainless whistle new “foot joint “ design

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Can you elaborate a bit on the benefits of the 'foot joint''? I assume it is there for a reason.
My brain hurts

RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

I hope the ornamental engraving doesn't complexify the issue of playing ornaments. I suspect any added "foot joint" tube length is to assist with tone and/or intonation, but hope to see an explanation for it from the manufacturer who has likely arrived at the clear reasoning, that they can relate in their textual posts in a forum on the international Internet, where being clear and concise is greatly appreciated as protocol amongst the time-stressed and musically astute and curious and WOAD-viral and observant and do your tax returns and buy another whistle types who can't be diverted from our compulsive musical obsessions sometimes when music is the cosmic life force language
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

RoberTunes wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:00 am I hope the ornamental engraving doesn't complexify the issue of playing ornaments.
Well, the video isn't going to tell you as there's no complex ornamentation on the menu there to begin with :tomato:

The maker is a member here so who knows, an explanation why an extended tube was used may emerge.
My brain hurts

Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Wonderful looking whistle as usual. Seems to play well too.

I'm curious as well on why it has the foot joint. Hopefully the maker responds. A guess is that it's to effect the bell note to maybe balance volume or tone with the other notes. Where like Burke low D's have a noticeably stronger low D than the low E, because the bore is so big and the E hole is small. But I don't see a high Eb whistle having this issue.
bildio
Tell us something.: I am registering due to interest in flutes and small pipes. I also have an interest in numerous other musical instruments.

Post by bildio »

My guess is that it is to improve the appearance by balancing the engraving.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

bildio wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:13 pm My guess is that it is to improve the appearance by balancing the engraving.
Yes, I was afraid that could have been a consideration but at the same time find it hard to believe someone would actually extend a whistle for that reason alone. :boggle:
My brain hurts

bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

The question I'd like answered is why put the bottom hole in a position where it's completely unusable? Gary Humphrey (and others I believe) makes a "D+" whistle with a low C tonehole. Maybe not something you'd use a ton, but it does offer a bit of extra functionality. If you're going to have a hole there anyway, I don't see why it can't add an extra note as well. Unless there's something about the physics that either makes that position the best place acoustically, or makes its position such that it couldn't be functional to finger.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

bigsciota wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:28 pm The question I'd like answered is why put the bottom hole in a position where it's completely unusable? Gary Humphrey (and others I believe) makes a "D+" whistle with a low C tonehole. Maybe not something you'd use a ton, but it does offer a bit of extra functionality. If you're going to have a hole there anyway, I don't see why it can't add an extra note as well. Unless there's something about the physics that either makes that position the best place acoustically, or makes its position such that it couldn't be functional to finger.
There are actually two holes down there, pointing to the "sides" rather than the "top" like the other holes, resembling direction holes on a native American flute. They compensate for the extra length of the tube, shortening its acoustic length so that the XXXXXX note still plays Eb. They aren't meant to be fingered.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

^he question 'why' remains though. I noticed the maker of these hasn't used the forum since 2015/16 or so. We may have to wait a long time for an explanation.
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Tunborough wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:12 am There are actually two holes down there, pointing to the "sides" rather than the "top" like the other holes, resembling direction holes on a native American flute. They compensate for the extra length of the tube, shortening its acoustic length so that the XXXXXX note still plays Eb. They aren't meant to be fingered.
My impression is that those "extra holes" play the same role as the "tuning holes" at the lower end of a flute—or, as Tunborough says, on many contemporary Native American flutes. On the flute, they seem to be a vestige of lower keyed holes. Not sure what the value might be on a whistle's sound or tuning. But they do allow for more ornamentation of the instrument.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

The YouTube does say it is a custom order so we may never know all the facts as to why a new foot joint. I thought the whistle sounded ok so if it works... it works... and if the customer is satisfied it will be happy whistling. Alex DeWilde was the whistle & pipe maker in NY at HHFI, but I don't know if Alex is the sole builder there or if he made this particular custom whistle.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

He is Hermit Hill instruments.
The website says
HHFI is owned and operated solely by myself, Alex DeWilde.
My brain hurts

ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:14 pm He is Hermit Hill instruments.
The website says
HHFI is owned and operated solely by myself, Alex DeWilde.
I wasn't sure as there was another builder up that way that was a husband & wife shop and I haven't kept up much with the Covid pandemic affecting the world.
Dreday
Tell us something.: I started playing recorders until I found Kerry whistles and fell in love with the tone, different sizes and low maintenance.1

Post by Dreday »

Here is a quote from the maker:

It’s new style foot joint area on them. It used to be that what I call the "bell" note, which is a bagpiper's term that usually refers to the lowest note on the chanter (ie your bottom/end note on the whistle, in this case Eb), usually had a tendency to be a little weak and take less air to play compared to the next few notes going above it in the scale. This kind of evens them out with a higher pressure throughout the range which I think makes it a bit easier to play, especially if your having to drop down to that bottom note more frequently from higher notes.