Whistles with similar sound to Dixon polymer low D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Narzog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Whistles with similar sound to Dixon polymer low D?

Post by Narzog »

Sedi wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:44 am But I "rediscovered" my V5 from kerrywhistles and that one is a real gem. Easy to play, great tuning, very "stable" -- no squaks or squeals.
Interesting, good to know. I had a Thunderbird F and Busker Bb and they were both the squeakiest whistles I've ever played. Doing virtually anything started with a sharp noise. They might have been very short, in things like cuts, but they were still there and really bugged me. So I'm assuming the V5 is more like my MK/Reyburn G/Burkes in that its virtually impossible to get sharp noises. I have no idea what makes some whistles get this and others not. But I really appreciate the ones that dont. I've wanted to try a V5 I just feel bad buying another low D haha.
Sedi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Whistles with similar sound to Dixon polymer low D?

Post by Sedi »

The V5 is very similar to the MK. Just a little cleaner sound and the notes cannot be "pushed" like on the MK. On my Kelpie I can blow a little harder before the note "breaks" into the 2nd octave. Not sure what the right word would be but it seems more "elastic" which makes it a bit more expressive but also leaves more room to blow the notes out of tune. That's maybe the biggest difference betwen my V5 and MK Kelpie.
My Thunderbird low D does not squeak however. It just takes insane amounts of air due to the wide windway. Latter models were improved in that aspect. I wish I had gotten the improved version just before Phil Hardy stopped selling them. I hope he might make them again at some point. But maybe he will come out with a "Busker" low D. Since he already offers them down to F.