MK kelpie low F volume

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The apostol
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have started whistling 2 months ago. Now Im searching for more information about whistles and find out that this should be the place to look for it

MK kelpie low F volume

Post by The apostol »

Hi all!

Just got the whistle mentioned above. I think I like it quite a bit. The only low whistle I have played is my Chieftain v5 d. I think kelpie is quite a bit louder. I might prefer softer volume from whistle..

What do you think about kelpies volume?? And are Goldies quieter? Tell me what you think.

Thanks!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: MK kelpie low F volume

Post by fatmac »

I really like my Kelpie low F, there's something about its tone, just makes it better than my other low F, & that's a good whistle too. :)

P.S. If you want a low F with slightly less edge to its tone, you might like a Shearwater.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've never played an MK F. I do play a Goldie F now.

When I had Low Ds from MK and Goldie I thought the volume was similar. I never actually measured it though.

Of the large number of different Low Ds I've owned the MK was among the loudest.

Also MKs have a special, unique tone as you mentioned.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I made multiple low G whistles that had different tones, and felt like one was louder (or that one was too quiet). I then measured it with my phone app (not the most accurate but should at least be semi accurate) and it said they are the same. So I'm curious as to if you would have a similar experience if you tried the same. I just use a free app called sound meter. But I'm not a fan of loud whistles either. Most of what I make are slightly quieter than my generation Bb. Which I'm hoping is normal. So now I'm extra curious as to what numbers you get if you test these whistles.
The apostol
Tell us something.: I have started whistling 2 months ago. Now Im searching for more information about whistles and find out that this should be the place to look for it

Post by The apostol »

nice idea, I have to try with the app! thanks for your answers all! I guess I'm used to softer volumes with my chieftain v5 and Cillian O'Briain tweaked feadog (high d)... These might as well be on the quieter side of all whistles..