It is currently Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:08 am 

I was glancing at eBay and ran across his Kokako II Low-G aluminum whistle, and wanted to dig further. He's been mentioned just a couple times on this forum, but does have a decent number of YouTube clips.

His website shows he makes a variety of PVC and aluminum wind instruments. I wish I could find more examples on YouTube of his work played by experienced whistlers, but not finding too much other than his own clips. Here's his website: https://drjohnlaurence.com/takahe-flutes

I'm mildly curious and at $55 his Low G isn't too pricey, and I'm still kicking myself I didn't buy an Impepe whistle out of South Africa before the maker stopped building, so maybe I should get a Low G for the collection...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:26 pm 

Location: [A] lucky country run by second rate people who share its luck
I cannot speak to the aluminium Alto G but do own a Takahe PVC Low D. Using piper's grip, I cannot comfortably nor uncomfortably reach the lowest tone hole (although the maker does suggest to purchase his tone hole key to overcome the issue); no such issues with both my Low D Syn or Howard. The Alto G, like the Low D, appears to have quite the gap between the two bottom tone holes.

John was pleasantly affable during our email exchanges; he might be kind enough to provide some measurements so you can determine if his Alto G works for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:48 am 

Not a low G, but ... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105180&p=1243259#p1243259

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:12 am 

Hi Tunborough

Seeing as you dropped me in it :lol:

I have the low D with aluminium tubing. I got it from eBay, as per normal. It definitely looks the part, if nothing else.

It is incredibly light for it's size, the person I bought it from had ordered it with offset tone holes and as the previous poster said, the bottom tone hole is way lower than a normal low D. Playing it required the use of the little finger on the bottom hand, but it was playable that way. Getting the key from the seller as a separate purchase meant that normal fingering was possible. (If you buy the low D make sure you get the key as well).

I am still getting used to playing it, so this is an initial impression. It has a very breathy tone when playing it in the 1st octave, the second octave is purer, but is easy to overblow when in the second octave - no doubt as I adapt to the instrument's quirks it will play better for me.

David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:07 am 

I'm going to go ahead and order a custom whistle from Takahe, because I want to make a gift to a Northumbrian pipe I'm a fan of, so going to order from NZ a mezzo whistle in the F+ pitch (differing from concert pitch) used by Northumbrian players.

The maker is totally cool with the idea, so let's see how this turns out...