Killarney VS Sindt...again

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Killarney VS Sindt...again

Post by Polara Pat »

Hey all, I'm looking at picking up an older Sindt high D and after reading many reviews and debates of Sindt vs Killarney, I'm none the wiser. Hah. I own a brass Killarney high D and I do like it but it's definitely not the first whistle in the jar that I grab. I find the tone as sweet as can be but it's a bit quiet and can be a bit fussy to play (that's the player not the instrument). Biggest complaint I hear about the sindt is the sharp C nat but it seems a different fingering can tame that. Is there more permanent fix to this issue to allow oxx ooo cross fingering?

Curious what the mob has to say on this. Again, sorry if this horse has been over flogged :)
Ultratone
Tell us something.: Experienced classical musician now crazy about whistles. I would like to share knowledge and ask advice on whistle construction and tunning.

Re: Killarney VS Sindt...again

Post by Ultratone »

I'd add a couple of Sindt-like whistles to the comparison: Lir and Mcneela Wild.

My Killarney Nickel D it's also not the D whistle I pick the most. I find it a bit shrill in the 2nd register, and upper A and B slightly flat even overblowing. I find that even my Dixon Trad Brass goes better with other instruments in a session despite of being quieter.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Is there more permanent fix to this issue to allow oxx ooo cross fingering?
Common wisdom is to just stick the Sindt head on a Generation or Feadóg tube. On the other hand, with a little bit of flexibility it's not a big problem to overcome.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Polara Pat wrote: Is there more permanent fix to this issue to allow oxx ooo cross fingering?
I did what Gumby said, when I was playing a Sindt D I was using an old Generation body in it.

Ditto my first Killarney, the tube had obviously been chopped at the bottom and surprise! the bell-note was too sharp.

If you have a tube that you know gives a good scale you can put any head on it, as long as the size fits, which there's no guarantee because my various old Generations have a number of slightly different tubing sizes.

The other fix- perhaps not permanent- is to put a bit of tape on Hole 1.

I had to do that on the Susato Low C that I used to have. It was a great player, but for some reason they decided to make Hole 1 too big, which spoiled the crossfingered C natural and also Hole 1's role as a vent for Middle D.

Not on Hole 1, but here on Hole 2 and Hole 5, the way to instantly transform an Equal Temperament whistle into a Just Intonation whistle:

Do that exact thing to Hole 1 and voila! your C natural crossfingering is lovely.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

I own a Killarney and have played a Sindt in the past, and to be honest the easiest "solution" I've found to the C natural issue is not really a solution at all: I just alter my fingerings as needed. I've found OXXOOO, OXXXOO, OXXXOX, and half-holing all to have their benefits and drawbacks on each flute and whistle I own. Add in OXXXXO and OXOXXX for the second octave C, and there are quite a few to keep track of! However, what works on one instrument in one passage of one tune doesn't work for another, just like I'll alternate venting and not venting the second octave D as it suits me. Learning all possible fingerings is a bit more time-consuming than swapping out a body or taping up a hole at first, but it is IMO the best way to go about things in the long run.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Frankly I think it's a losing battle putting a half inch OD tube on a D whistle to begin with. I didn't care for any body I put on my Killarney until I made an Eb tube - then it became my favorite whistle for quite a while until I started making my own.

As for the C natural, you of course don't want something hideously sharp, but there's really nice tonal character in the forked C natural that's on your palette of expression. Pushing a Cnat sharp is an expressive decision very common in the Uilleann piping world, and this obsession with a perfectly "in-tune" C natural kind of baffles me. If you can't move it sharp or flat to suit the tune, you're knocking a whole color off that metaphorical palette.

Thumbholes just lead to dampness and regret.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I'm a big Sindt cheerleader and have never really noticed the C natural issue. Maybe I and my other Sindt playiing friends just blow to compensate. I have a Copeland too which is always spot on.
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

busterbill wrote:I'm a big Sindt cheerleader and have never really noticed the C natural issue. Maybe I and my other Sindt playiing friends just blow to compensate. I have a Copeland too which is always spot on.
I've noticed it only because I wanted to. I never quite understood nitpicking tuning on a whistle when the greater part of the repertoire moves along so quickly that minor discrepancies in pitch, combined with breath control fluctuations, get lost in the shuffle, and not 'overthought'.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Great responses all. Sindt is on its way so I'll be able to do a back to back comparison with my Killarney and see if I can easily adjust my playing to deal with the C nat. Otherwise I do have other tone bodies that I can try. Can't wait!!
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Late to the part y but I have several killarneys and a Sindt win A and the C nat is only acceptable on the Sindt, for me, via half holing. Its been a while since I played it---I'm all about the flute right now-but while i otherwise loved the tone and playability of the Sindt half holing the C nat crisply at speed was a challenge
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

What about oxxxxo? Didn't even that work? Can't imagine the C nat is that sharp that there isn't some type of cross-fingering that might work. The "worst" I have to do on some I made myself is oxxxxo but oxxxox works most of the time, especially when it is just a transitional note. Most of the time I use oxxooo and sometimes on the flute oxoxxo or oxoxxx.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Sedi wrote:What about oxxxxo? Didn't even that work? Can't imagine the C nat is that sharp that there isn't some type of cross-fingering that might work. The "worst" I have to do on some I made myself is oxxxxo but oxxxox works most of the time, especially when it is just a transitional note. Most of the time I use oxxooo and sometimes on the flute oxoxxo or oxoxxx.
Not on this whistle, at least not for me--I just tried it. oxxxxo or oxxxox is maybe the best but still sounds bad, too sharp. I may try the tape thing
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm not going to employ abnormal fingerings because one particular whistle is oddly made, especially when it's so easy to bring the pitch of C natural down with tape.

Actually all the various whistles I have now, from high Eb to bass A, from a half-dozen different makers, all play well using normal fingerings.

As pointed about above it can be just a matter of using slightly different breath, though I do want whistles to "go over the break" at an even pressure with everything in tune (B>c>d>e)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I'd hardly call any of those fingerings "abnormal". Maybe except for oxxxxo. The rest is standard stuff.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

To me I want all my whistles to oxx ooo the C nat (or equivalent note for other key whistles). That way practicing one whistle wont mess up my play for another because they use the same fingerings. I made a decent alto A but it needs to oxx xoo, which bugs me because all my new ones are better and use oxx ooo. So I'm need to re make it haha.