It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:15 pm
Posts: 681
Location: Seattle, WA
Narzog wrote:
I'm hand cutting the windways, but milling would be 100x better haha. I just havent found a budget mill and it doesnt currently fit into my budget. With every attempt I find a less bad way to cut the windway, so some day I'll be able to do it quickly by hand at least. Technically I've been using Acetal not Delrin, which is what comes up 99% of the time you google to buy Delrin. So most people just call Acetal Delrin. But it also shouldn't stick to adhesives but I actually found it sticks to PC Clear epoxy. Which even though they say is 'non toxic when cured' I still dont trust it enough to put it in my mouth haha.

One of my issues with trying to make an over tube design is my ability to make the over tube. My aluminum alto tube I bought perfectly fits tighly in holes drilled by my 3/4 bit. But all the other tubes I have fit loosely with my closet fitting bits. A similar thing I thought of though is to make a recorder block (like the one here if u scroll down in this link http://www.flute-a-bec.com/bouchongb.html). This way I can drill a hole to fit it in, and just file a windway up. And then I can file up the lip of needed to get the locations correct. This might be too much effort though, not sure. My current method of making a solid mouthpiece and creating the windway by cutting a piece off is super easy. If it doesnt seal perfect on my tube I can just use plumbing tape. And then I dont need to worry about assorted tube fitment because the inside is just 2 different hole sizes (the tube size and a slightly smaller one to file the windway up into), and filing a straight lip. The issue there is my issue of attaching the top without it looking stupid haha.

My tools are pretty limiting. I have a cheap junk harbor freight belt sander and drill press. An old dremel with tungsten engraving bits that I cut the base windways with (which actually works really well with some practice). And some assorted hand saws and stuff. I did just get a Turncrafter Commander midi lathe, but the drill chuck and chisels it was supposed to come with are on backorder so I get to wait a while. It is a wood lathe so its not going to be perfect for outside precision work. but I think it should do well for drilling perfect centered holes (better than my drill press which I always drill slightly off), and it can save time on trimming the outsides and being symmetrical. And making tuning slides significantly better than my belt sander.


Wow!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.132s | 11 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)