Young Beginner Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Young Beginner Whistle

Post by Polara Pat »

I have a couple of friends with young sons (6&11) and they want them to give tin whistle a go. There's a strong possibility that it won't take but why not give it a shot. I suggested a Clarke Sweetone and I think there's a kit from the Whistle Shop that sells it with a Susato and two DVDs. Seems like a nice starter kit and maybe dad can learn too. Any other advice that I could pass along?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Young Beginner Whistle

Post by fatmac »

I would have suggested the Tony Dixon ABS.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

An "Oak" maybe. I think it is one of the best bangs for the buck. While the Sweetone sounds and play quite nicely, the seam in the back always annoyed me.
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

I would suggest a Walton's Mellow D (not their regular bore high D but the wide bore "Mellow D"). It sounds very nice and is easy to play without screeching and squawking. Best thing is you can find them brand new for under $10. Looking back I wished that had been my first whistle to learn on. Don't let the cheap price fool you, it should more than suffice for their learning until they figure out if they want to continue playing the tin whistle or not.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

What you want are reliable good tone in the full range through both octaves. No screeching, just the music! For tone and playability at lost cost, these fit the description. Seems like this is seconding what others have said:
1) Walton's Mellow D ....plays far superior to the regular model in D and is very inexpensive
2) Tony Dixon DX001 plastic.....very good tone, tough plastic, reviews are consistently good
3) Feadog "Pro".... still very inexpensive and a clear cut above their regular D model
4) Oak................ very good tone, low price

What you want to avoid is getting a scratchy, inefficient instrument that doesn't play well, that has notes breaking apart, putting the players off the instrument, when if they had a more legitimate musical instrument, they'd stick with it. Tone, especially in the second octave, when sounding good is something you want to return to, to build some talent and repertoire in. The four I've mentioned I've seen nothing but good reviews of, by talented players demonstrating them. And they don't require any further tool shed alteration work to play normally. And remember that instruments that have good tone and playability can maintain their resale value.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Excellent responses and a good bit of choice for a fair price.

Sedi, I couldn't agree more about the seam on the back of the Sweetone. I have one that I play on occasion and it seems really easy to play but I had to fill that back seam with puddy so I wouldn't always be thinking about it.

The DX001 seems like a great choice for a kid that is destined to destroy everythng he touches. I've never played one but the reviews are always good.
Ultratone
Tell us something.: Experienced classical musician now crazy about whistles. I would like to share knowledge and ask advice on whistle construction and tunning.

Post by Ultratone »

I would go for a Tony Dixon Trad D. I would not recommend a susato for new player as 2nd octave requires quite an effort at the beginning.
Alaskamike
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Post by Alaskamike »

Polara Pat wrote:Excellent responses and a good bit of choice for a fair price.
The DX001 seems like a great choice for a kid that is destined to destroy everythng he touches. I've never played one but the reviews are always good.
I have a DX-005 (tunable ABS) and a Trad. I like that the ABS Dixon whistle doesn't sound "plasticky" (my term) like some of the other ABS whistles I've tried. Its tone is sweet, but not too pure.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

I'm teaching one of my grandsons; I bought him an off-the-shelf (well, over the internet) Generation D and it has been fine. He's making pretty good progress.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I recommend looking into the Dixon D Trad also. Very nice whistle, to me it just feels a bit more high end than some of the cheaper ones, by not needing tweaks, and the mouth piece is easily tunable (where others you can un glue it and pull it out but then it may be a loose fit, which isnt good). But it costs around double a lot of the cheaper ones recommended above so it depends on what you want.

I also recommend a generation Bb. It will be too big for a 6 year old but the 11 year old might be able to use it as a kids low whistle. And its the only cheap decent Bb that I know of.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

it just feels a bit more high end than some of the cheaper ones, by not needing tweaks, and the mouth piece is easily tunable (where others you can un glue it and pull it out but then it may be a loose fit,
You arre operating under the false assumption the cheaper whistles need tweaks. Which is nonsense. It was a thought that was prevalent here during the earlier days of these forums but which has disappeared mostly since the forum grew up a bit.

Equally, none of my whistles are a loose fit when tuned, not a single one in any key. Which ones of yours are wobbly and loose?
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

My Dixon Trad mouthpieces (on brass D, Eb and E) are on the loose side and have been from new!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

All of my Dixon Trads, (D, A, G), are tight; & all my other whistles, but for one nickel Gen Eb.

Maybe yours were from old/tired moulds.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My Dixon Trad mouthpieces (on brass D, Eb and E) are on the loose side and have been from new!
That was my memory of the D I had. I never took to that whistle and jumped at the chance to let it go when someone on the forum was looking for an early one (I got mine when they were just new to the market, which rules out old moulds).
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

fatmac wrote:Maybe yours were from old/tired moulds.
And maybe not. I just state my experience as differing from Narzog's without speculating why.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?