Inexpensive conical whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ecadre
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Inexpensive conical whistles

Post by ecadre »

paddler wrote:
Tommy wrote: I have only had one Shaw Bb whistle. I think they are made from stainless steel, ''chromium, nickel, silicon, manganese, nitrogen and carbon''. Some people shorten the name to just nickel.
The Shaw whistles I have seen are made from Nickel Silver (sometimes called German Silver, Nickel Brass, ... or just Nickel) not stainless steel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver
Beat me to it. Absolutely not stainless steel, but Nickel Silver (an alloy of nickel and copper). Stainless steel would be a distinctly unpleasant material to work in for those whistles, with to no material advantage.

As for Shaw whistles, I've had a few over the years, the last one I gave away just over a year ago to a friend. It is in C, I wasn't playing it and my friend likes Shaw D whistles. There's nowt really wrong with them. They're decently in tune, take a little more air than say a Generation, have a pleasant breathy tone and are quite quiet (talking of Shaw D and C whistles I have had).

The only real way to know whether you'll like them is to play a Shaw whistle.