Tunes for Animals

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Greenfire
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm learning how to play the whistle, maybe one day I can branch out to another instrument. I'd love to learn the pipes, but I can only afford a whistle!

Tunes for Animals

Post by Greenfire »

I have a cat and two dogs, so far, the cat has absolutely no interest in anything I play or do with the whistle. One dog will regularly howl if I play the old USSR National Anthem or police sirens on youtube (or if she hears them in person), but the other.... absolutely needs to join in whenever I play "Out on the Ocean."

She'll make little rumbling noises, and basically tell me she must immediately have my attention, the same way she does when she wants more water in her bowl, so I'm not convinced she's actually enjoying the tune, but it's the ONLY one so far that has gotten her attention at all.

I don't yet know a lot of tunes, but over in another thread, there's chatter about playing for seagulls, and horses, and mention of how cows don't care.... so it made me wonder if anyone here does have animals that seem to have a preference, or a clear dislike for any particular tune!

Also reminded me of this oldie but goodie, which I HAD to learn as my first tune simply because of this video:

https://youtu.be/q6Or3k1BHp0 (which sadly my dogs really didn't care one whit about me playing for them)

Pet tax:

Charlotte the English Pointer who howls at sirens and might be a communist: https://i.imgur.com/lyjQrKQ.png
Mattie the Basset Hound x Black Lab who demands to join in: https://i.imgur.com/V1AERtd.png
Cooper, who's a cat and has yet to forbid me to play so I must not be terrible: https://i.imgur.com/HfHkCfp.png

so what tunes do your furry ones love or hate?
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Re: Tunes for Animals

Post by Dan A. »

Greenfire wrote:so what tunes do your furry ones love or hate?
My dog, and especially my cats, hate all tunes universally. Last night I played the Feadóg in the living room, and my dog started tearing around the house. She doesn't react like that when I play in the bedroom. The cats usually leave the area when I play. They seem to be least hateful toward the wood whistles.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

I had a dog quite a while. The only music it seemed to enjoy was steady pleasant music with low dynamics; moving steadily and with calm meditative tones. Mild steady low key jazz was ideal; mid-period Miles Davis from Kind Of Blue or something like that. Solos were preferred in the low frequencies. Piano was good, not trumpets. I bet it would have liked Hawaiian music too. It liked the acoustic guitar I played but never the flute, recorder, whistle or any percussion toys around.

I've never seen a cat respond to music. I've seen YouTube videos of elephants dancing when music is turned on. I suspect birds "get" music.

I've noticed various birds in the park respond with singing if I play the soprano or sopranino recorder or the Tony Dixon DX006 aluminum D. Gulls and Canada geese will look at me and if they like the music, they'll stick around, if not, they'll walk away. After having that experience often, I think gulls and geese tune into the mood of the music as key to whether they'll put up with it or not. "That creature is making weird sounds; are they going to freak out or are they relaxed?"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

RoberTunes wrote:I've never seen a cat respond to music.
Some cats really dig music, but how and what they go for when they go for it is pretty random. When I was a teen I had some brash stuff cranked up (Bowie or the Stones, like) and the cat - Puff, I think her name was - plunked herself down right in front of the blaring speaker with a smile on her face. Given the volume and the character of the music, it was the last thing I expected. Other cats were more likely to prefer mellow, soothing things, and Classical was a dependable draw.

My last cat Lester couldn't be arsed about music at all unless it was Julie Fowlis: he'd throw himself down and sleep like the dead, and let me tell you, sleep was not on this amiable pest's agenda until the end of the day when he'd worn himself out from all his adventuring. But JF had that effect on him while we were new to each other. Later on he got over it because he felt secure, and being super-social, visiting other people's homes and their pets for sport and play took top billing over all else. As you might imagine, he made himself famous among the neighborhood. He was more one to accost you, than to be lulled. Music wasn't fun.

And then there was Mubu: she was a critic. If I was playing a new tune well and she liked it, she would excitedly flip about in my armchair and shoot me crazy looks; it was definitely approval, but she was also intentionally trying at the same time to get me to laugh and screw up. And it often worked. But if I was playing a new tune poorly, she would sit in the same (apparently official) chair with a disapproving and unmistakable "Seriously?" look on her face. She had an ear, that one. She liked Trad in general, be it whistle or flute - or any instrument, for that matter - and she liked flat-set uilleann pipes; could be because you can make cat-like sounds on them when you go for the "nyaah". She really liked the album Kitty Lie Over: she would jump onto my lap, eyes closed and purring like blazes. I would leave Public Radio on for her when I was out of the house, because I noticed that she liked that too, so I figured it was a kind thing to do when leaving her on her own for extended periods.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

I did have a bird-- was it a cardinal? Can't remember-- this past summer who seemed fond of Drowsy Maggie one day when I was playing outside. I think maybe some of the intervals were similar to her song? Anyway, she came by to a nearby tree and if I recall correctly, did make some noise.

RoberTunes wrote:I've never seen a cat respond to music. I've seen YouTube videos of elephants dancing when music is turned on. I suspect birds "get" music.

I've noticed various birds in the park respond with singing if I play the soprano or sopranino recorder or the Tony Dixon DX006 aluminum D. Gulls and Canada geese will look at me and if they like the music, they'll stick around, if not, they'll walk away. After having that experience often, I think gulls and geese tune into the mood of the music as key to whether they'll put up with it or not. "That creature is making weird sounds; are they going to freak out or are they relaxed?"
My mom had zebra finches who liked music... they were into Highland bagpipes for a while, and I can't remember what else. I seem to recall they liked the Eagles...

We used to have a cat who had a particular piece in one of my violin Suzuki booksthat he seemed to like-- at least, he would come by and meow about it.

My current cat seems offended by Marilyn Manson and Rammstein and the like. Some music he'll put up with, albeit looking annoyed ("I was over here trying to sleep and now you're blaring music!"), but he's actually left the room before if some types of metal come on.

I think not long ago I found an older post of mine here where I said my former cat wouldn't tolerate any whistle higher than B-flat...
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

This brings to mind more: I had a parakeet that would go nuts during the refrain to Eric Carmen's "All By Myself". Dependable as clockwork. I've captivated squirrels when playing flute outdoors, and I once captivated - get this - a toad. It was going from point A to point B when it noticed me, stopped, and oriented itself toward me for a time while I played. Then after a bit it seemed to remember that it was exposed, and sensibly moved on to shelter.

The dogs I've had never seemed to care about music one way or the other.

Had a cat that absolutely hated the GHBs. She'd come up to the attic where I was playing, yell the cat equivalent of, "For the love of all that is holy, STOP!!", and then gnaw on my ankle.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Playing whistles to train birds to sing is an old pastime, and actually caused the invention of the smallest playable whistle.

There's a fellow on the Youtubes that's recorded the Bird Fancier's Delight.

-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

RoberTunes wrote:I've never seen a cat respond to music.
Perhaps I'll shoot a video of mine someday. The responses can be tearing around the house, doing parkour along the walls, pawing/walking on/laying on my gear, or merely leaving the room.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I had a cat once who came and tried to rub her head against the whistle when I played or sat on my shoulder. She also came when simply whistling (without any whistle) like when calling a dog. Once she sat on my shoulder she would lick my neck and only leave when gently forced to.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

RoberTunes wrote:I suspect birds "get" music.
Definitely the birds get the music. I recently saw a FB message Andy Lamy has custom whistles made to order for birds.

http://www.mixedflockorchestra.net/?con ... tle%20main

Image Image

Just the sheer beauty of these whistles have me drooling all over myself.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

My experience has been that both cattle and birds like uilleann pipe music.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

whistlecollector wrote:Playing whistles to train birds to sing is an old pastime, and actually caused the invention of the smallest playable whistle.
The serinette was supposed to be a canary trainer. I think it was a predecessor of organ grinder.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=I9tpufEsWn8
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

ytliek wrote:
RoberTunes wrote:I suspect birds "get" music.
Definitely the birds get the music. I recently saw a FB message Andy Lamy has custom whistles made to order for birds.

http://www.mixedflockorchestra.net/?con ... tle%20main

Just the sheer beauty of these whistles have me drooling all over myself.
Those are pretty cool! I remember my days of whistling to chickadees (actual whistling, not on my whistle). They'd come close and land on a branch near me. It was fun to see and "chat" with them, but I stopped doing it after I realized it was probably mean-- they were probably sitting there wondering where the other bird was! (Or maybe just musing at the dumb human, who knows.)

ETA: Kind of a fun video demonstrating some of the sounds of the bird whistles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYXIwri3_gg
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Greenfire
Tell us something.: I'm learning how to play the whistle, maybe one day I can branch out to another instrument. I'd love to learn the pipes, but I can only afford a whistle!

Post by Greenfire »

so is the guy at the end saying "he loves me" Ginger or Boots?