Chip and Fiffle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RoberTunes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Re: Chip and Fiffle

Post by RoberTunes »

Run with it. People intending to visit Ireland in 2021 and 2022 are advised to ask their tour coordinators to include visits to establishments serving locally prepared chips and fiffle, with genuine Irish home-style taps, cuts and rolls.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Greenfire wrote:but the chap is fully intending to put the hammered out once and for all definitions out there.
The chap (ltwhistle) is not in a position to do so. It's not up to him, as should be self-evident from him initially accepting/including 'chiff' as the tube etc.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Greenfire wrote:but the chap is fully intending to put the hammered out once and for all definitions out there.
The chap (ltwhistle) is not in a position to do so. It's not up to him, as should be self-evident from him initially accepting/including 'chiff' as the tube etc.
As I mentioned in a thread a few months back, there seems to be a preponderance of people with YouTube channels, websites, etc. who are purporting to teach about the tin whistle without seemingly having a great grasp on it themselves. A bit of a minefield for the prospective beginner to navigate.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

RoberTunes wrote:... establishments serving locally prepared chips and fiffle ...
And I have discovered the fiffle!

A fishwaffle. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

RoberTunes wrote:Run with it. People intending to visit Ireland in 2021 and 2022 are advised to ask their tour coordinators to include visits to establishments serving locally prepared chips and fiffle, with genuine Irish home-style taps, cuts and rolls.
If you can't get me the fips and chifafa, just bring me a check for the water!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Nanohedron wrote:Somebody should photoshop a whistle into that upraised fist.

The Masked Chiffer to save the day!

-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:A fishwaffle.
Photoshop or not, someone has a little too much time on their hands there.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

bigscotia wrote:I've sent an email; I don't do a ton of copywriting, but I could definitely do better than this if they needed someone!
Maybe your email will prompt some QC on the site. Thanks!
bigscotia wrote:I can all but guarantee that they outsourced this to someone who has little to no familiarity with Irish music and may very well not be a native English speaker.
Yeah, I kind of get that impression too, whether it's true or not, who knows.
katherine wrote:It's their knowledge of the instrument that I would be concerned about with this error. It would be like expecting me to take piano lessons from someone who has a website that labels the keys incorrectly, or violin lessons from someone whose site doesn't know which strings the instrument has.
A valid concern, though I'm pretty sure the whistle tutorials were all done by Kirsten Allstaff, an accomplished whistle/flute player herself (and a cofounder of OAIM), but I'm not so sure how much she's involved with the site at this point. Matthew Curley, her husband, according to the About page, "brought the technical know-how."
qaantar
Tell us something.: I'm a long-time musician, grew up with piano, recorder, electric bass. Now I've picked up the tin whistle and have been exploring Irish music.

Post by qaantar »

Nanohedron wrote:A fishwaffle. :wink:
Oooh! All joking aside, if you have a chance to try taiyaki, they're delicious, especially the ones with ice cream in them. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dan A. wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:A fishwaffle.
Photoshop or not, someone has a little too much time on their hands there.
Moi? Finding pics from "fiffle" to "fish waffle" took hardly any time at all. But maybe I just have the knack. And I can assure you that the fiffles pictured are not out of some lost photoshopper's fevered visions: them's taiyaki - a Japanese street snack whose fishy look is supposed to be auspicious (when I saw them this time I thought, But of course! Fiffles!) - and as of yesterday I have evidence that they've even made some inroads into Southeast Asia, now.
qaantar wrote:Oooh! All joking aside, if you have a chance to try taiyaki, they're delicious, especially the ones with ice cream in them. :D
Never even knew they existed while I was over there. But that was Akita, where things are a bit ... different.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

The leap from custard filling to ice cream isn´t far. They look like fun. Sort of like fair-grounds food. :)

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote:They look like fun. Sort of like fair-grounds food.
Very much that sort of thing, although not exclusively so.
Greenfire
Tell us something.: I'm learning how to play the whistle, maybe one day I can branch out to another instrument. I'd love to learn the pipes, but I can only afford a whistle!

Post by Greenfire »

I'm hungry now, and would definitely go for some chips and fiffle given the turn the thread has taken.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:Them's taiyaki.
And here I was at least semi-convinced that it was a Photoshop job...I feel like an ass now.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Dan A. wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Them's taiyaki.
And here I was at least semi-convinced that it was a Photoshop job...I feel like an ass now.
But how can I blame you? To Western eyes, taiyaki are pretty bizarre; we have no cultural underpinning to explain why a sweet would have a fish shape, of all things. But allow me to elucidate: In Japan the Tai, or red sea bream, is the premier food and/or gift on auspicious occasions (the very best are the preferred offering, if you can afford them), so even the tai's mere image is celebratory. Where I would have a sort of dissonance between the taiyaki's fishy look and the sweet stuff within, the Japanese apparently do not; the tai is such a culturally ingrained meme for good luck that it exceeds any notions of fishiness. Peeps, I think, would be on a rough - if overstretched - parallel with the idea. Normally tai images would be depicted as red so you know what you're looking at, but with taiyaki you have to have the name to go by - although I expect that given the Japanese color vocabulary, they'd consider the more deeply-browned parts to be a form of red, so they're going to be squared away there, too.

I wonder if OAIM has taken note of the email that bigsciota sent to them.