Chip and Fiffle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Chip and Fiffle

Post by kkrell »

Steve Bliven wrote:Has there been any serious thought given to changing the name of this forum to comport with OAIM?

Best wushes.

Steve
Has there been ANY serious thought on C&F?
We're more likely to compôte than comport.
It's "whush", not "wush"
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:Has there been ANY serious thought on C&F?
Enough to keep things just this side of a Mad Hatter's tea party.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:
kkrell wrote:Has there been ANY serious thought on C&F?
Enough to keep things just this side of a Mad Hatter's tea party.
They used all sides.
"I want a clean cup," interrupted the Hatter: "let"s all move one place on."
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

stiofan wrote:Oh my... As a former copy editor, I have to say this makes me cringe more than just a wee bit. I can't begin to imagine who could have made such a mess of things.

I've been using OAIM for flute instruction over the past several months and have found the site very user-friendly and professionally designed, so this seems to be an anomaly.

Anyone like to volunteer to inform the OAIM webmaster?
The construction of the site is all well and good... but one can have a pretty site for a terrible product. It's their knowledge of the instrument that I would be concerned about with this error. It would be like expecting me to take piano lessons from someone who has a website that labels the keys incorrectly, or violin lessons from someone whose site doesn't know which strings the instrument has. I'm assuming the webmasters are just publishing what they were given, not expected to come up with the informational matter itself-- why would they be? So I'm not inclined to fault the site designers for this, which is why it's concerning... (Also the fact that apparently they did not check over the finished product and catch the error? No one from OAIM has looked over the site since it was created??)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Katharine wrote:Also the fact that apparently they did not check over the finished product and catch the error? No one from OAIM has looked over the site since it was created??
I'm afraid I wouldn't have such blind faith. But it's possible that Quality Control missed it; it took me a bit of looking around on the website before I found the page in question for myself; there happen to be two disparate pages on whistle tutelage, for some reason.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Greenfire
Tell us something.: I'm learning how to play the whistle, maybe one day I can branch out to another instrument. I'd love to learn the pipes, but I can only afford a whistle!

Post by Greenfire »

It was the whistle anatomy on the page that brought it to my attention, as another whistle site using it for their definitions, and posted the definition of chiff based on the photo shared. When someone questioned their use of it, they linked that page, I couldn't help noticing the hilarious typo.

I actually did a search on here, because I thought there was no way this hadn't been noted before. There is in fact some mention of "chip and fiffle" on here, but nothing pointing to that website. There's actually mention of it 18 years ago here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5890&p=52957&hilit= ... fle#p52957.

Oh, and apologies for not linking the page in question, to save anyone else the trouble, it's here https://www.oaim.ie/tin-whistle/learn-tin-whistle/
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have known people to refer to this site as 'chafing nipple'. Has anyone considered the possibility the guys at OAIM are just taking the mickey? :moreevil:
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I have known people to refer to this site as 'chafing nipple'. Has anyone considered the possibility the guys at OAIM are just taking the mickey? :moreevil:
I thought so too, but could hardly be bothered to say ...
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I have known people to refer to this site as 'chafing nipple'. Has anyone considered the possibility the guys at OAIM are just taking the mickey? :moreevil:
I would have also accepted the "Chip and Dipple". I think the "Chaffing Nipple" is and accordion forum.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

People have toyed with the Board's name for various reasons and inspirations since time immemorial - if I had a mild head cold, I might log in to Drip & Sniffle - but what's missing on that page is any sort of context necessary for us to know that what only looks like a typo is in fact purposeful. So: no. It doesn't deserve even that much. If the purpose is humor, the writer's way out of their depth, and to be brutally honest, they should leave the creative editorializing to their betters.

No, I still think this is just one that got away. My suspicion is that with two different whistle pages, one was checked, okayed, and understandably assumed to be the same for all links - while the other, tucked away in its little corner, was not even guessed at.
Greenfire wrote:It was the whistle anatomy on the page that brought it to my attention, as another whistle site using it for their definitions, and posted the definition of chiff based on the photo shared. When someone questioned their use of it, they linked that page, I couldn't help noticing the hilarious typo.
Aw, crap. This is like murder hornets on the loose.
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

I'd thought of that possibility, but the page in question is buried pretty deep.

Naturally, I excoriated them for blatant disrespect of Chick and Tiple Enterprises and the serious brand it represents.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

whistlecollector wrote:Naturally, I excoriated them for blatant disrespect ...
I dunno ... isn't that sort of like demanding respect for a backyard superhero?

Somebody should photoshop a whistle into that upraised fist.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

:D So let us hammer it out :D once and for all :D the definitions :D

It must be true... it is on the internet! :D :D :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

C'mon, ytliek - everyone knows that whistlers couldn't come to a unified definition of chiff if their lives depended on it. But one thing we can all agree on: It sure ain't no tube.
Greenfire
Tell us something.: I'm learning how to play the whistle, maybe one day I can branch out to another instrument. I'd love to learn the pipes, but I can only afford a whistle!

Post by Greenfire »

ytliek wrote::D So let us hammer it out :D once and for all :D the definitions :D

It must be true... it is on the internet! :D :D :D
Precisely what's being attempted, here's the reddit post where I originally saw the link that had the fun spoonerism, but the chap is fully intending to put the hammered out once and for all definitions out there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/tinwhistle/com ... ers_guide/