Buyer Beware - whistle similarities

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Buyer Beware - whistle similarities

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Brass will be standard although he has done sterling silver tubes on occasion. People have been known to replace his D body with Feadóg or Generation ones for better (cross fingered) C nat intonation.
Guilty. When I had a Sindt D I played it with a Generation tube. Set aside the original tube for when I sold it.

Same with my older Killarney, the original body had clearly been chopped at the bottom after manufacture resulting in the bellnote and its octave being too sharp. Once again a nice old Generation body did the trick (though this time it was a nickel-for-nickel swap).
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Buyer Beware - whistle similarities

Post by ytliek »

paddler wrote:When I say "scratched" it would probably be more accurate to say "hand engraved"
I agree that hand engraved is a better terminology.
paddler wrote:and a pin that is flush with the surface rather than protruding.
Yes, the flush pin is a tell tail sign for JS whistles. I am surprised that no one has modified a Killarney whistle by grinding the pin flush and hand engraving JS. Killarney is the first whistle that comes to mind without any markings.