It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:35 am 

When COVID19 is generally no longer a social health concern (fingers crossed), and business and social situations are back to normal, we can once again get seriously infected with more WhOAD, with our favorite whistle makers all eagerly supplying the fix to we addicts. But what else completes the picture for you?

→ let's review what we'd like to achieve in WHISTLE MUSIC WORLD in the first year after COVID19 is suppressed. Can you answer any of these questions?

1) What would be the next 5 whistles you'd try or buy, and why? (realistically within your budget)
2) How often do you want to be playing sessions at pubs or social events with unrestricted public access?
3) Are you playing whistle while reading this? Which model?
4) If you could try ANY THREE WHISTLES MADE, regardless of price, free for a year, which models would you try?
5) Will you be creating any new music for whistle, in 2021?
6) Will you be recording any music (solo or group), in 2021?
7) What music styles other than Irish, go well with Irish whistle and Irish flute?
8) If doctors diagnosed you with advanced WhOAD, how many whistles would you sell in 2021 in order to help gain some self-discipline when being within 700 yards of music stores? Also, does this question give you nervous twitches?
9) Do you have your own portable audio recorder so that you can capture your playing and develop new ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:12 pm 

I love this question! Even as a newbie I can answer them!

1. I already have a list of the next 5 I want to try: generation, humphrey, becker, chris wall and when it's available, one from Cam St. Louis of Keltoi, he has a really great sounding one that he printed himself, is working on the design and will market it shortly, and I love to support people! You can hear his whistle here, he did a live broadcast last night: https://www.reddit.com/rpan/r/RedditSessions/jtto1a HIS FIPPLE IS CLEAR! Oh, and he's also a piper and flutist so there's that.

2. Never next year, but I do plan to play at the dog park.

3. Waltons High D

4. Oz Vambrance, Goldie Overton hard blower, Burke narrow bore

5. if you want to call it music, sure!

6. I plan to record myself play so I can track my progress

7. Whatever style they play in tons of video games, anime theme music, and every type of folk, think Brian Finnegan, Steve "Sic" Evans van der Harten of Omnia, and music like this one from Sandro Friedrich (click the second play button on this page, you won't be disappointed https://powerflute.ch/instruments/tin_whistle.htm) Then there's Wardruna... oh tons of good music out there today using whistles and simple flutes. I'm even a fan of using the whistle to play folk metal, and have been guilty of playing Vulgaris Magistralis on mine already. (here's a really fun example from Celtic Metal Dude https://youtu.be/mXu0clJqi9E) Bardcore (kind of a lump name for all the mixed genres) is a really huge thing right now, turning any genre of music into something sounding a little more folk, a little more baroque, a little more traditional even in the Irish genre. This was just posted an hour ago, and you can hear some in it for an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9eSnSBP1Po

8. none

9. no, unless you mean a phone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:21 pm 

Quote:
What music styles other than Irish, go well with Irish whistle and Irish flute?

Guess you mean tin whistle & folk flute....... :lol:

Too many questions........ :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:11 pm 

1) What would be the next 5 whistles you'd try or buy, and why? (realistically within your budget)
A custom build from Whorfin Woods, a Dixon Trad in brass (if I could find one), a carbon-fiber job from Erik the Flutemaker, a Susato, and a Walton's Mellow D. I hear good things about the Mellow D, I want to see just how loud the Susato is, carbon-fiber intrigues me, and I know Dixon and Whorfin Woods whistles are awesome.
2) How often do you want to be playing sessions at pubs or social events with unrestricted public access?
As of right now, not at all. I'm not good enough to play in a session yet. When I am, maybe twice a month?
No. I'm not that competent a multitasker.
4) If you could try ANY THREE WHISTLES MADE, regardless of price, free for a year, which models would you try?
The aforementioned carbon-fiber job, plus two that are completely out of my budget.
No.
Possibly, if YouTube videos count.
7) What music styles other than Irish, go well with Irish whistle and Irish flute?
Anything Gaelic, methinks.
8) If doctors diagnosed you with advanced WhOAD, how many whistles would you sell in 2021 in order to help gain some self-discipline when being within 700 yards of music stores? Also, does this question give you nervous twitches?
A couple-few, and no.
9) Do you have your own portable audio recorder so that you can capture your playing and develop new ideas?
No, but it's an idea worth exploring.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:15 am 

Great questions!
RoberTunes wrote:
1) What would be the next 5 whistles you'd try or buy, and why?

Only two:

Colin Goldie Mezzo G (Because I want to replace my Burke Mezzo G, the last Burke in my roll.)

Colin Goldie Low Eb (Because currently I have no Low Eb, having sold my Burke.)

A few months ago I would have also said a Colin Goldie Low E, because I couldn't get all that much out of my Alba Low E. But I finally adapted to that Alba, and I really like it.

RoberTunes wrote:

The big shutdown has made me regret how spotty my pre-Covid session attendance had become. It's like the old saying, you don't appreciate things until you no longer have them.

I've made a resolution to attend regularly, when that becomes possible.
RoberTunes wrote:

Well not at this very moment! It's 5am here.

But I've been regularly playing the whistles in my roll:
Feadog Mk1 with Generation Eb body
Feadog Mk1 D
Walton C# Frankenwhistle
Generation C
Generation B Frankenwhistle
Generation Bb
Generation A Frankenwhistle
Burke G (needs to go)
Goldie F
Alba Low E
Goldie Low D
Goldie Low C
Alba Bass A
RoberTunes wrote:

I would only need to try them for a few minutes, to satisfy my curiosity.

The three would be three different 1980s Copeland Low Ds.

RoberTunes wrote:

I don't know. I don't write many tunes, and they're usually for the Highland pipes.

RoberTunes wrote:

If I get the call, sure! I'm not in the Union any more, so it's fairly unlikely.

RoberTunes wrote:

Being that the "Irish flute" is a mid-19th century English orchestral flute, orchestral literature from the period was composed specifically for that instrument and is supremely suitable. Though in a sense "a flute is a flute" and mid-19th century orchestral flutes will sound fine with Baroque music and a large number of different folk musics.

I used to play in a folk dance band in which my c1860 London-made 8-key flute was used for Bulgarian, Israeli, Latin etc dance music.

About whistle, there's quite a variety of whistle-like things used in Balkan folk dance music and my various Irish whistles stood in for those.

I still play a few Bulgarian dance tunes on Low Whistle, which can sound very suitable.

RoberTunes wrote:
8) If doctors diagnosed you with advanced WhOAD, how many whistles would you sell in 2021 in order to help gain some self-discipline?

No, I'm not a collector type, so I usually only have one whistle of each key I need. I'm not a fan of having things surplus to requirements. The only duplicate in my roll is the Feadog Mk1 D and the Killarney D. I have another Killarney D which stays in the car. So three high D's, no other multiples. If I had to I would get rid of one of the Killarneys.
RoberTunes wrote:

Just an app on my phone. There have been a couple times when I've been driving and had a tune pop into my head. I click on the app and sing the tune. Later at home I'll pull out the Scottish chanter or the whistle and put the concept down on paper.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:03 pm 

I’ve been looking for a backup to my Feadog MkI and found one; it’s being shipped to me from the UK. I’ve been on the wait list since early summer for Mr. Sindt to make me a D and an A whistle. I think the why goes without saying on the D; as for the A it’s because that’s a key that I currently don’t have. I’m not sure I would be buying any more than those three. Maybe a O’Briain improved Feadog D just out of curiosity and I’m still researching Low E or Eb whistles because I don’t have any in that key. I may or may not pull the trigger on that purchase.

As far as I can ascertain, there aren’t any sessions played in my area and I really don’t have a desire to go and play in them if they did.

Nope.

Goldie low D, F and G.

No.

I hope so. I bought a nice FiFine K678 USB mic and have downloaded Audacity. I’ve been listening to various songs on youtube and if I think a whistle might add to the song I’ve downloaded the song as an MP3 and then added my whistling to it. It’s been fun and I plan on doing much more of it in 2021.

I don’t know.

If doctors diagnosed you with advanced WhOAD, how many whistles would you sell in 2021 in order to help gain some self-discipline when being within 700 yards of music stores? Also, does this question give you nervous twitches?
Zero! There was a song back in the 1970’s that had the lyrics “if there’s a cure for this, I don’t want it, I’ll run from it!”. That’s me and whoad. :D

I’ve got a Dell tablet that I can plug my USB FiFine mic into and record just about anywhere I want to. The mic is not small but it is portable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:25 am 

Not sure this is one to reply to on a rainy, dark, miserable locked down Mondaymorning.

I really don't see this ending any time soon and I don't want to think that far ahead or what the 'new normal' will look like.

I don't need or want any more whistles. I don't need more clutter and they won't make me sound better.

Going out and play socially would be a nice thing again even though I have gone off of playing out in recent years and have been deflecting invitations for concerts etc as much as I can. A quiet place, without noisy drinkers getting in the way, to play with good musicians I know well enough. Enough people around to listen and perhaps dance a set or two. That would be the thing I pine for right now.

I have sound and video recording equipment in the house but don't have the urge to record myself. I was commisioned to do a (piping) video during the early part of the first lockdown, did that one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:20 am 

Very interesting question, Sir. I must agree with Mr. Gumby... From everything I have read, and also from the musings of the medical doctor member of our band, I truly believe that 'this' will not end soon... In addition to the Covid-19 situation being the progenitor concerning the postponement of 95% of our 2020 concerts, my own current 19-month-old medical issues have made it very difficult to practice or play whistle.

WhOAD was an issue, many years ago... However, for me, when I found the whistle smith who creates exactly what I need and want, I sold my whistle collection, and play his creations almost exclusively, plus a few individual instruments I keep around for both sentimental and musical reasons. There are so many excellent makers, it is difficult to go wrong...

You ask what would complete the picture for me? Any of you who perform with a group, and perform music which is complex in the area of arrangement, know that it is a godsend to be performing with regularity. When there is a hiatus of even a month, the 'edge' leaves the group, and the 'sharpness' and 'feel' on stage with the group - the understanding of what everyone is going to do next, even though improvisation is happening all the time - becomes suspect. And here we are, having not performed for over a year... What would complete me, would be having the time and the impetus to re-learn the dozens of musical arrangements - the framework - of what we do on stage. For so many years it was so automatic... We know we have a lot of work ahead of us. And none of us know when things can 'begin again.' Overshadowing it all, is the concern we have about getting together in our 'rehearsal emporium' to practice, safely. Sigh. Enough.

As for a portable audio recorder: If you need a hand-held recorder, the Zoom products are sonically excellent, and the units are reliable. I use an H4n. For the band, we simply output the mixer into 10 channels of REAPER, plus a rough two track - from the 8 stage mics and 2 direct boxes - and record every concert. I find REAPER to be the equal of Pro Tools, and other pro software. Easier to use, also.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:30 am 

RoberTunes wrote:

Goldie High D. Apart from that, there are not many on my wish list. Maybe a Burke narrow bore brass.
Quote:

I wanna find some people to play with, since so far I only played alone.
Quote:

The only one I play currently is one I made myself. Same for flute.
Quote:

Goldie high D. Setanta High D. Standard Carbony high D.
Quote:

No.
Quote:

Maybe a few Youtube vids.
Quote:

Anything I think. Sometimes I do play some classical tunes but mostly just trad.
Quote:

No. I don't really have much on the wish list anymore. Mostly the Goldie. But I am pretty happy right now with what I have.
Quote:

Only my smartphone.