Oak whistles new vs old?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Squeakie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Oak whistles new vs old?

Post by Squeakie »

Hi,
I haven’t been here for a while, but with staying at home, I’m picking up the whistles again. I hope everyone is well and healthy.
My questions are:
Is there a difference between older Oak whistles vs new models (Acorn models also... you know, just in case I have to get an Acorn, too) I’ve read all about the older Generation mouthpieces, Feadog, etc, evolving over the years, with people having definite preferences. I have old ones I’ve collected and can tell the difference with some whistles doing a side by side with a newer mouthpiece molding. I’m just wondering if it is worth pursuing an older Oak or Acorn for any reason.

Also, can anyone enlighten me on the Oak stickers? I’ve seen solid tan stickers with writing and also a clear sticker. Does the sticker have any bearing or indication of age?

Thank you, Lisa
Mr.Gumby

Re: Oak whistles new vs old?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have a 1990s one:

Nice little whistle, very light to the touch. For a while they were 'made in Ireland' as the labels said and they came with heads very much Feadóg like, the story was Feadóg teo was making them. In recent years they became once again 'made in the USA' and they look much like the one in the photo.

I don't know what this all means for quality and playability. I haven't played any post 90s Oak.
My brain hurts

Squeakie

Post by Squeakie »

Thank you for the reply and picture. I appreciate it!
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I have a new one and it is lovely. Takes very little air, has a nice pure tone with just a little bit of "breathiness" and a solid barrel, as thick as the one of the Feadog Pro but for a fraction of the price. A very nice whistle.