It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:50 am 

pancelticpiper wrote:
I totally forgot my "car whistle" !!

The topic has come up from time to time here, but many whistle players keep a whistle in their car.

It's especially handy here in Southern California where we probably spend more time in our cars than most people do.

A critical thing is that the car whistle has to be able to withstand high temperatures, because car interiors can get well over 100 degrees.

Wood splits. I've even had a plastic Scottish Practice Chanter reed melt.

So best to have an all-metal whistle. For years my car whistle has been my primary Low D, an MK for years and now a Goldie.

Currently it's a Killarney high D. I hope the delrin/polypenco will do OK.

A quick glance at:

https://www.dupont.com/knowledge/delrin-100-series.html

shows that you're pretty safe with that Killarney. Much of the insides of your car would melt before the Delrin (Acetal Homopolymer) would be bothered.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:14 am 

Anybody playing a whistle in a car needs to understand that airbags work via high explosives, and if you toot while stuck in a traffic jam or waiting for a light to change, you can die horribly just from some inattentive fool tapping your back bumper a little too hard. I'm a car tooter too, but only in parking lots and other spots where there's no chance of a "minor" collision.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:20 pm 

pancelticpiper wrote:
If, say, out of the blue somebody gifted me 13 High Ds I'd carefully compare them, keep the two best, and sell the rest.

With the money I'd buy as many whistles in other keys as I could, starting with a C. Then maybe a couple "mezzo" sizes like G and F.

I wouldn't quite know what to do with a whistle in a key other than D. All the whistle music I've found is transcribed for the key of D. (Maybe that's the push I need to be bugged to learn how to read music!) Other keys might also necessitate a new storage system.

pancelticpiper wrote:
Silly pronouncements...

I like that term, and will have to use it in the future!

Katharine wrote:
The point was never 'stick with a whistle you genuinely don't like'... it's, 'make sure it's actually the whistle you don't like, and then stick with one instead of going for another because you think it'll be easier to play.'

Very well-articulated. My take-away was that Greenfire got on okay with the Walton's, and later tried (and disliked) the Clarke.

For whatever it's worth, my Clarkes are two of my favorite mass-produced whistles. The Feadógs and the Walton's Irish D are good, as are the Generations. The Walton's Little Black D...well, it's not a bad whistle, just not for me. I can honestly say that none of the whistles I own are bad. Some just sound better to me and/or are easier to play than others.

Since credentials came up, here are mine. I got the Walton's Irish D around 2010, noodles around with it for a while, and set it aside for a number of years. In late 2017, I dug it out again, bought my first Feadóg, and took another break from whistling in 2018. Earlier this year, I returned to the whistle and developed a bad case of WhOAD. I can only hope my playing has gotten better.