It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: New D
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:04 am 

BKWeid wrote:
How does a Burke high D fit in? How does it compare to Killarney?

Burkes are unique animals. I've owned Burkes from Low D to High D and several in between and a remarkable thing is how consistently the various sizes play. I think it's one of the reasons I've seen a number of professional players with a roll of gleaming Burkes in a range of keys: you can pick up any size and it will play exactly as expected. There's no having to tailor your blowing to correct quirks.

Burke does this by using dedicated tubing and head specs for each size, maintaining the same bore ratio. Many makers, if not most, use less different tubing and head sizes, so that the in-between sizes are stretched somethings or chopped somethings, leading to different bore ratios. (Examples include my Sindts in A, Bb, and B having the same head and tubing and my Reviols in Low C, D, and Eb having the same head and tubing.)

The knock on Burkes, personally, is that across the various sizes they have a wider bore and wider windway than most makers, leading to more air consumption and a stiffer 2nd octave than I would like.

Burke has addressed this with their "narrow bore" models, narrow by Burke standards but more or less the bore sizes most makers use.

I've owned Burke High Ds in both their "session bore" (a wide bore like most Burkes) and their "narrow bore" (typical High D bore) and even the narrow bore is going to have a considerably stiffer 2nd octave than the Killarney. The session/wide bore even more so. The Burkes are going to take both a greater pressure and quantity of air than a Killarney.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:13 am 

benhall.1 wrote:
The GBP is very low historically. It's at 1.31 against the dollar. In June 2016 it was 1.50, and often higher still. I would have thought that now was a good time to use dollars to buy something priced in pounds.

Indeed it is!

Bummer every time I go over to the UK it's around 1.50 but I did score big when it dropped to near-parity with the dollar (1985) purchasing a full set of uilleann pipes for a thousand pounds/dollars.

In the old days the pound was around $5 US.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:23 am 

Nope the US dollar ain’t worth crud. In england. I used to get Overton whistles years ago straight from him for the simple fact. It was at a better price. Those days are gone. The Dollar used to go far now its semi equal to the euro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:42 pm 

I only have a Tilbury in C, but I vote for Tilbury D. Super nice crisp, well made instrument. But theres tons of good options out there. Hopefully you find the right one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:21 pm 

Narzog wrote:
Theres tons of good options out there.

And you can try out most of them fairly economically.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:06 am 

Dan A. wrote:
Narzog wrote:

You put your finger on one of the great things about whistles.

Even Low Ds, usually around $300, are very inexpensive compared to most quality instruments. When I gave up flute and switched to Low Whistles the sale of my two vintage keyed flutes could fund nearly a dozen Low Whistles.

With the classic High Whistles, around $10, you can buy piles of the things for the price of one flute, fiddle, etc.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:28 pm 

pancelticpiper wrote:
Even Low Ds, usually around $300, are very inexpensive compared to most quality instruments. When I gave up flute and switched to Low Whistles the sale of my two vintage keyed flutes could fund nearly a dozen Low Whistles.

With the classic High Whistles, around $10, you can buy piles of the things for the price of one flute, fiddle, etc.

That's one reason I gave up the guitar: I'd rather spend $300 on a high-end whistle than a guitar that was a very small step up from the Fender I started with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:09 pm 

pancelticpiper wrote:
Dan A. wrote:
Narzog wrote:

You put your finger on one of the great things about whistles.

Yes this is totally true! An instrument I would own if I could, is a Hurdy Gurdy. Things cost thousands. No chance haha. And I've looked up cheap bagpipes but those seem really bad. I've never seen such low average amazon reviews.

The hidden thing with whistles though is that you can need a lot of whistles for different keys. I only need my 1 guitar. But minimum I want a high D, C, C#, B, alto Bb, A, G, F, Low D C# and C. But when you compare this to my brothers 6 $400-$1000 guitars the whistles are still incredibly cheap. Especially when a lot of them can be had for sub $100 with brands like dixon. And if I can pull off making actually good diy's then they can be very cheap. But I'm torn on the DIY idea, because I cant imagien a world where my DIY's are actually better than the ones I could buy over time. But I've always liked making things so its hard to resist the urge to go waste my weekend in the garage haha.

Dan A. wrote:
That's one reason I gave up the guitar: I'd rather spend $300 on a high-end whistle than a guitar that was a very small step up from the Fender I started with.

I actually just got a Orangewood Florence, a sub $200 parlour acoustic. I love it. Its not perfect, you can only get so much in a budget guitar. But its REALLY nice for what I paid. I dont believe in expensive guitars at all. I woudl also rather get a good whistle. My budget guitar is more than satisfactory.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:12 am 

Narzog wrote:
I've looked up cheap bagpipes but those seem really bad.

What sort of bagpipes? Scottish Highland pipes? Uilleann pipes? Or some other kind?

It's a discussion for either the "uilleann" or "other bagpipes" forums, but pipes are my bailiwick.

About Highland pipes, new quality instruments from legitimate UK and North American makers are going to start at around a thousand dollars for African Blackwood and around $700 for delrin/polypenco. However vintage Highland pipes of the highest quality, UK-made by top makers, in African Blackwood, can be got on Ebay any day in the $500-800 range. If you want to go the Ebay vintage/used pipe method, which I feel is the best way to get great pipes for little money, you need to enlist the help of an experienced vintage pipe expert to tell you which are legit pipes. Otherwise you can end up with worthless Pakistani pipes. (They can be impossible for the beginner to distinguish, but obvious for the expert. The rare times that experts can't tell are because of blurry photos in the Ebay listings.)

Uilleann pipes are a far more complex subject due to having "practice sets" "half sets" "three-quarter sets" and "full sets" (which are all the same size, it's not like violins). You can get a great-playing practice set (chanter, bag, bellows, connecting stocks and hose) for around a thousand dollars.

Yes more expensive than whistles!

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:57 pm 

Thanks for all your replies, most interesting. I'm just going to have to open my Piggy Bank, again.
Mike-S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:18 pm 

The OZ Visor is a brilliant whistle, and has changed the way I approach playing. At about $290, it's worth every penny. Watch the videos.
http://www.ozwhistles.com/shop/ozwhistles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:09 pm 

pancelticpiper wrote:
Narzog wrote:
I've looked up cheap bagpipes but those seem really bad.

What sort of bagpipes? Scottish Highland pipes? Uilleann pipes? Or some other kind?

It's a discussion for either the "uilleann" or "other bagpipes" forums, but pipes are my bailiwick.

Yes more expensive than whistles!

I think the amazon ones are technically highland pipes. I just searched amazon once for bagpipes out of curiosity to see if there were any cheap options because I like assorted folkish instruments, and its in a similar category of instrument. so knowing whistle would give an increased learning rate over having never blown into a instrument or covered holes before. Theres ones like these

https://www.amazon.com/Bagpipes-Starter ... merReviews

where the reviews are all like 1 star, minus the occasional 5 star which is probobly a fake review haha. Theres several others, all simila priced and equally bad reviews.

I'm nowhere near ready to drop several hundred on some real pipes but it was one of those where if I could actually get some mega cheap $100 ones I would consider getting some because they are just a cool instrument. Maybe someday when I'm a good whistler and have a good collection I can pick up some real pipes to learn. If I do I'll take your advice and go for some ebay ones. If I do you'll know because I probobly asked here and you got to tell me which ones were fake haha.

But sadly pipes arent whistle so I can't get into it for $10 so I get to wait lol.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:55 am 

Narzog wrote:
Idont believe in expensive guitars at all. I woudl also rather get a good whistle. My budget guitar is more than satisfactory.

Cost was actually the tertiary reason for my giving up guitar. Lack of good storage space was the primary one, with lack of desire to change strings and burn through picks being secondary.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:52 pm 

Narzog wrote:

Those are what our local instrument repair person calls ISO's (Instrument-Shaped Objects).

They are NOT musical instruments. The only concern of the makers is to produce something that looks like a musical instrument in a photo.

Internally they don't resemble any bagpipe that ever worked.

Musical instruments are form-follows-function. The important thing on a flute or trumpet or bagpipe is the inside, the internal bores. The shape of the outside follows.

These Sialkot bagpipes are the opposite of that: they're form-first. The only concern is the outside appearance, with no regard for the function.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:39 pm 

Just watch these two videos and you'll get the gist of things.

As an experiment, in the first video this guy tries to make the cheap Amazon Pakistan made pipes work with the reeds etc provided.

In the second one, he tries to make them work at all with the good reeds, bag etc that he has.

I think it's obvious that he knows what he's talking about, and the pipes don't work properly on any level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyUxVu_mis0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVMLoKwHfH8