New D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mike-S
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a returning beginner having just ordered an expensive (to me) new whistle so I'm hoping to learn from the goldmine of experience on this forum.

Mike-S

New D

Post by Mike-S »

Hi all,
I have five whistles in high D but I still am looking for the 'perfect' sound. I realise that this is probably unattainable. All my current ones have a buzz somewhere up and down the scales. I play solely for my own pleasure which is probably why I'm a bit finnicky. Is there a D whistle that plays sweetly over both octaves in any price range from'That's cheap' to ' You've got to be kidding'.All replies appreciated, Mike
psoutowood
Tell us something.: I am a longtime piper, and have added in the few years a bunch of Irish whistles and smallpipes to my collection. Looking for new instruments and like-minded people!

Re: New D

Post by psoutowood »

Brace yourself--whistle judgement is about to rain down on you from the regular posters. "[inhales]...Perfect sound?! What do you even mean @#&%!..."

Seriously though I find it impossible to beat my fixed Overton high D. It's woody and clear with octave balance, perfect tuning, and my ideal level of back pressure. I find many high Ds that others like to be too screechy, thin, finicky on air pressure and generally annoying sounding. Some people love those, and don't like ones that sound like small flutes. I will say that playing alone means you hear the whole tonal quality of the instrument and not what can cut through the fug of a full session. Same goes for amplification--some whistles I adore on their own and they lose quality in translation when mic'd up.

Good luck!

-Peter
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Since you set out the kettle, I'll throw two copper coins in. Of all my whistles, the one that sounds best to me is the Dixon Trad in nickel or Dixon PVC. My newly acquired Becker has a pretty nice sound, too. The Becker definitely falls under the heading of "that's cheap," so you're out very little if you find it disagreeable.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

The high whistles aren't my personal favourite whistles, but, my Tony Dixon aluminium Duo, Trad brass, & ABS one piece, are the ones that I would play.

I also have Generations, both brass & nickel; a Waltons little black (pretty good sounding); a Feadog; & a Clarkes.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I keep plugging John Sindt. He's in his mid 80s and still making great whistles. His prices are very competitive if you buy direct. They play in tune with a sense of joy. Johnsindtwhistle@aol.com. There are others out there many love. But it you want to take a chance on a Sindt I do not think you will regret it.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Earlier today I received two Whorfin Woods whistles to evaluate. I can say for certain that I will be purchasing one or both. They earn a high recommendation for folks who like wood whistles.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Clarke Sweetone perhaps, or a Shaw? From what I've heard it seems the conical whistles have a more even tone
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Dan A. wrote:Earlier today I received two Whorfin Woods whistles to evaluate. I can say for certain that I will be purchasing one or both. They earn a high recommendation for folks who like wood whistles.
Oh they look nice!
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'll let your own ear be the judge.

Here I'm playing my long-time favourite whistle, a c1980 Feadog D, and comparing it to two different Killarney Ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgNBRKq-MyY
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

pancelticpiper wrote:I'll let your own ear be the judge.

Here I'm playing my long-time favourite whistle, a c1980 Feadog D, and comparing it to two different Killarney Ds
My ear likes those Feadog Mk1's. Your Mk1 sounds like mine. I love it.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Dan A. wrote:Earlier today I received two Whorfin Woods whistles to evaluate. I can say for certain that I will be purchasing one or both. They earn a high recommendation for folks who like wood whistles.
Yes, I've a Whorfin whistle and I've put loads of mileage on it enjoying the tone. I play it regularly with very little maintenance other than an occasional oil wipedown. Tone is warmer and softer than some of the metallic whistles which can be crisp and harsh.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

How does a Burke high D fit in? How does it compare to Killarney? It cost we’re not a limitation.
Last edited by BKWeid on Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case that nobody was satisfied with just one "perfect" sound in a whistle for very long. The novelty of discovering a "perfect solution" to a need can wear off. You might find your top choice tone within certain ranges, but the many types of whistle and many uses of them, many ways of mixing the whistle with other instruments, and different ways of recording......leave you searching for a range of whistles that let you handle a wide spectrum of musical situations.

Whistle options:
1) standard inexpensive brass thin-wall narrow bore whistle
2) wide bore
3) aluminum, wood and plastic options of narrow and wide bores
4) different mouthpiece/fipple/blade options for tone variation
5) different mouthpiece/fipple/blade options for playability, air volume requirement, handling octave changes, intonation and volume differences at the extreme highest and lowest notes
6) recording software for EQ and compression that further alter tonal possibilities
7) reverb and other audio effects such as the playing environment feedback affecting perceived tone
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

i have always been fond of the Clarke original, tried a few and keep coming back to this one, its simple warm and tuned up nice , not Loud by any means, i have been pondering a humphreys whistle,, if the British pound was not insanely high , compared to the US dollar i would go for a swayne, for sure
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

cavefish wrote:i have always been fond of the Clarke original, tried a few and keep coming back to this one, its simple warm and tuned up nice , not Loud by any means, i have been pondering a humphreys whistle,, if the British pound was not insanely high , compared to the US dollar i would go for a swayne, for sure
Eh? GBP is very low historically. It's at 1:31 against the dollar. In June 2016 it was 1:50, and often higher still. I would have thought that now was a good time to use dollars to buy something priced in pounds.