It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New D
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:33 am 

Hi all,
I have five whistles in high D but I still am looking for the 'perfect' sound. I realise that this is probably unattainable. All my current ones have a buzz somewhere up and down the scales. I play solely for my own pleasure which is probably why I'm a bit finnicky. Is there a D whistle that plays sweetly over both octaves in any price range from'That's cheap' to ' You've got to be kidding'.All replies appreciated, Mike

Post subject: Re: New D
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:19 am 

Brace yourself--whistle judgement is about to rain down on you from the regular posters. "[inhales]...Perfect sound?! What do you even mean @#&%!..."

Seriously though I find it impossible to beat my fixed Overton high D. It's woody and clear with octave balance, perfect tuning, and my ideal level of back pressure. I find many high Ds that others like to be too screechy, thin, finicky on air pressure and generally annoying sounding. Some people love those, and don't like ones that sound like small flutes. I will say that playing alone means you hear the whole tonal quality of the instrument and not what can cut through the fug of a full session. Same goes for amplification--some whistles I adore on their own and they lose quality in translation when mic'd up.

Good luck!

-Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:43 am 

Since you set out the kettle, I'll throw two copper coins in. Of all my whistles, the one that sounds best to me is the Dixon Trad in nickel or Dixon PVC. My newly acquired Becker has a pretty nice sound, too. The Becker definitely falls under the heading of "that's cheap," so you're out very little if you find it disagreeable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:26 pm 

The high whistles aren't my personal favourite whistles, but, my Tony Dixon aluminium Duo, Trad brass, & ABS one piece, are the ones that I would play.

I also have Generations, both brass & nickel; a Waltons little black (pretty good sounding); a Feadog; & a Clarkes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:31 pm 

I keep plugging John Sindt. He's in his mid 80s and still making great whistles. His prices are very competitive if you buy direct. They play in tune with a sense of joy. Johnsindtwhistle@aol.com. There are others out there many love. But it you want to take a chance on a Sindt I do not think you will regret it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:22 pm 

Earlier today I received two Whorfin Woods whistles to evaluate. I can say for certain that I will be purchasing one or both. They earn a high recommendation for folks who like wood whistles.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:10 am 

Clarke Sweetone perhaps, or a Shaw? From what I've heard it seems the conical whistles have a more even tone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:11 am 

Dan A. wrote:
Earlier today I received two Whorfin Woods whistles to evaluate. I can say for certain that I will be purchasing one or both. They earn a high recommendation for folks who like wood whistles.

Oh they look nice!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:39 am 

I'll let your own ear be the judge.

Here I'm playing my long-time favourite whistle, a c1980 Feadog D, and comparing it to two different Killarney Ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgNBRKq-MyY

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:50 am 

pancelticpiper wrote:
I'll let your own ear be the judge.

Here I'm playing my long-time favourite whistle, a c1980 Feadog D, and comparing it to two different Killarney Ds

My ear likes those Feadog Mk1's. Your Mk1 sounds like mine. I love it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:02 pm 

Dan A. wrote:

Yes, I've a Whorfin whistle and I've put loads of mileage on it enjoying the tone. I play it regularly with very little maintenance other than an occasional oil wipedown. Tone is warmer and softer than some of the metallic whistles which can be crisp and harsh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:49 pm 

How does a Burke high D fit in? How does it compare to Killarney? It cost we’re not a limitation.

Last edited by BKWeid on Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:29 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case that nobody was satisfied with just one "perfect" sound in a whistle for very long. The novelty of discovering a "perfect solution" to a need can wear off. You might find your top choice tone within certain ranges, but the many types of whistle and many uses of them, many ways of mixing the whistle with other instruments, and different ways of recording......leave you searching for a range of whistles that let you handle a wide spectrum of musical situations.

Whistle options:
1) standard inexpensive brass thin-wall narrow bore whistle
2) wide bore
3) aluminum, wood and plastic options of narrow and wide bores
4) different mouthpiece/fipple/blade options for tone variation
5) different mouthpiece/fipple/blade options for playability, air volume requirement, handling octave changes, intonation and volume differences at the extreme highest and lowest notes
6) recording software for EQ and compression that further alter tonal possibilities
7) reverb and other audio effects such as the playing environment feedback affecting perceived tone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:58 pm 

i have always been fond of the Clarke original, tried a few and keep coming back to this one, its simple warm and tuned up nice , not Loud by any means, i have been pondering a humphreys whistle,, if the British pound was not insanely high , compared to the US dollar i would go for a swayne, for sure

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:07 am 

Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
cavefish wrote:
i have always been fond of the Clarke original, tried a few and keep coming back to this one, its simple warm and tuned up nice , not Loud by any means, i have been pondering a humphreys whistle,, if the British pound was not insanely high , compared to the US dollar i would go for a swayne, for sure

Eh? GBP is very low historically. It's at 1:31 against the dollar. In June 2016 it was 1:50, and often higher still. I would have thought that now was a good time to use dollars to buy something priced in pounds.

https://youtu.be/ezbWVysJAOY
https://tapm.bandcamp.com/