Generation with green head?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Generation with green head?

Post by pancelticpiper »

This talk of various whistle colours reminds me of a conversation I had around 15 years ago with George Kelischek, of Susato.

The original Susato whistles came in two colours of ABS plastic: brown and ivory. They would be all of either, or mixed. I suppose the idea was that they would look like wood with ivory mounts.

He said that they sold well in the USA and especially in Japan but that in Ireland he got pushback: the Irish retailers all wanted the whistles to be black, entirely black.

Misha of MK Whistles said the same thing, that the Irish didn't like his red and green candy-like whistles, but wanted black or silver ones.

Which makes me wonder why Generation, Waltons, Feadog etc haven't all switched to black tops.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Yeah, black, silver, brass, or aluminium seems to be my choice too, although I do have some coloured 'tops' as well....... :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Well to be honest, does the head colour make any difference? To the player maybe...
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

pancelticpiper wrote:This talk of various whistle colours reminds me of a conversation I had around 15 years ago with George Kelischek, of Susato.

The original Susato whistles came in two colours of ABS plastic: brown and ivory. They would be all of either, or mixed. I suppose the idea was that they would look like wood with ivory mounts.

He said that they sold well in the USA and especially in Japan but that in Ireland he got pushback: the Irish retailers all wanted the whistles to be black, entirely black.
I admit I hate that brown-and-white scheme all of the recorder makers use for their plastic instruments. I've thought it was ugly ever since I was a kid. (And, nobody is going to mistake my plastic recorders for high-end wood-and-ivory instruments, so why imitate them? To me it would make more sense to have an instrument in black or brown, then it could possibly pass for grenadilla or rosewood or something at least somewhat realistic in terms of an instrument I'm likely to own.) Just give me a plain-colored recorder. I don't even care if it's red or something, but ugh, the two-tone...
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Funnily enough I like the two tone of plastic recorders. Not so sure about Yamaha's new ecodear range which are just yellow and white. The white is proper white too, not cream. The yellow makes it look a cold colour. I think the yellow is supposed to look like boxwood, THE wood for early recorders.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Katharine wrote: I hate that brown-and-white scheme all of the recorder makers use for their plastic instruments...I don't even care if it's red or something, but ugh, the two-tone...
Exactly the thing: Kelischek is an Early Music guy, and the things that are "Susato whistles" today started out as modified recorders.

So yes brown plastic with "ivory" mouthpieces, or all-brown or all-ivory.

It's the same deal with Highland bagpipes: most of the chanters made today are plastic, and some entire sets of pipes too.

They nearly always are black, to sort of look like blackwood. I have a red chanter! If it's going to be plastic, let it look like plastic.

Some modern Scottish bagpipe chanters:

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

AuLoS303 wrote:Funnily enough I like the two tone of plastic recorders. Not so sure about Yamaha's new ecodear range which are just yellow and white. The white is proper white too, not cream. The yellow makes it look a cold colour. I think the yellow is supposed to look like boxwood, THE wood for early recorders.
Someone who has one told me there's no way you could mistake it for boxwood... it is apparently YELLOW.

I would have a craving for banana cream pie every time I pulled the thing out...
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Katharine wrote: Someone who has one told me there's no way you could mistake it for boxwood... it is apparently YELLOW.

I would have a craving for banana cream pie every time I pulled the thing out...
Ah now I'm hungry...
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

AuLoS303 wrote:
Katharine wrote: Someone who has one told me there's no way you could mistake it for boxwood... it is apparently YELLOW.

Ah now I'm hungry...
I know! I don't even like banana cream pie that much, but I can't even look at a picture of the thing without wanting it, lol.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Banana cream pie...no, thanks. Put me down for lemon meringue pie, though.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Dan A. wrote:Banana cream pie...no, thanks. Put me down for lemon meringue pie, though.
Oh now you're talking!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Aaaaaabsolutely. (It's just that that recorder doesn't say "lemon" to me. Not bright-yellow enough.)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.