Walton Mellow D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Walton Mellow D

Post by AuLoS303 »

I was told this is a good whistle to get, but is the difference between it and the regular Walton?
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Re: Walton Mellow D

Post by TxWhistler »

AuLoS303 wrote:I was told this is a good whistle to get, but is the difference between it and the regular Walton?
I've got one and enjoy it. It's a decent whistle, especially for the price. I believe the Mellow D is a wide body whistle. The body is made from the same diameter tube as their C whistle. I don't have a regular Waltons D so I can't comment much further as to the differences between the two.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I only have a 'Little Black' but I find it to have a pleasant tone.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Garick
Tell us something.: New whistle player looking to upgrade from a mass-produced whistle to something intermediate. Apparently that didn't equal 100 characters or more, but I have little to add other than that I am currently playing a Clarke original, Freeman tweak.

Post by Garick »

I use one to learn on while I wait for my Freeman order. It is a wide-body whistle with a very nice sound for a cheap whistle. It does require a lot of air in the top half of the upper octave, though as a former trombone player, this bothers me not at all. Doing the 'blue tack tweak" stabilizes the air flow a bit making the upper register a bit easier to hit without shrieking. Seems like a great beginner whistle to me, though as a beginner my experience is obviously limited.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

I've had both-- the regular Walton's as it came out of the box (I did add blu-tack; not 100% certain I needed it once I got past the beginner stage) and the Freeman-tweaked "Mellow Dog."

It was okay, but it's hard to compare because being two different whistles, they simply sounded different. I ended up preferring the regular Walton; it had a unique almost "reedy" sound that I suspect many people wouldn't prefer, frankly. (That's the one I broke. I recently found a new one, still in box, in a secondhand shop, and that one has a bit different sound, not as reedy; it's okay, but I miss that interesting-- or weird, perhaps, depending on who you ask-- tone of the old one. I've not put blu-tack in the new one yet; we'll see what that does for it; I might experiment with different amounts of blu-tack.)

I've heard a lot of people say that of the two, though, they definitely prefer the Mello D. I honestly don't remember much difference in whether one was easier or harder to play, but I feel like that would maybe be a comparison I'd have to make as a beginner, rather than between a whistle I already knew well (regular Walton) and a new one I'd just gotten (Mellow Dog). It's also hard to compare between a tweaked whistle and one that's untweaked.

The Mellow Dog set now lives with a friend who picked up whistle; otherwise I would've been interested in going back to compare the new "regular" Walton to that one, as I think the sound of the two would match better and I'd be able to make a better comparison.

(So, TL;DR: still not much help, sorry.)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I had a Walton's Mello D several years ago and I liked it better with the putty cavity treatment. I think I gave it away at some point. This thread has reignited my disorder; I ordered a Walton's Mello D a few days ago. Thank you very much.