It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:34 pm 

I have been looking for a tin whistle (D) tune for The Old Rugged Cross and have not found any even on The Session. I checked out a web site that has all types of music that had it as a lead sheet. It was originally set up for voice in the Key of C so I used their transpose function to change it to D major and it came out showing a G# in the music. For one to play this on a D Tin whistle do you guys normally just half hole the G position? I figure I will have to just look for lead sheets to use for hard to find tunes. Thanks for any info or advice. I thought about going to a recorder but to be honest I would like to stick to tin whistle positions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:19 pm 

Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
Isn't there an A# as well? And yes, I would just half-hole both the G# and the A#.

https://youtu.be/ezbWVysJAOY
https://tapm.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:34 am 

scottie wrote:
For one to play this on a D Tin whistle do you guys normally just half hole the G position?

Yes, though to be clear, half hole the A position to get G#, and half hole the B position to get A#.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:55 am 

qaantar wrote:
scottie wrote:
For one to play this on a D Tin whistle do you guys normally just half hole the G position?

Yes, though to be clear, half hole the A position to get G#, and half hole the B position to get A#.

That's actually not always clear, as some of us use different terminology. Perhaps the word "position" should not be referenced. For G#, I would use the fingering for G, but half-hole T3 (Top hand 3rd hole). Not sure how it is in tab: xxv 000 ?

http://www.worldtrad.org

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:35 pm 

kkrell wrote:
qaantar wrote:
scottie wrote:

That's actually not always clear, as some of us use different terminology. Perhaps the word "position" should not be referenced. For G#, I would use the fingering for G, but half-hole T3 (Top hand 3rd hole). Not sure how it is in tab: xxv 000 ?

Yes, exactly as you show in your diagram and explanation. Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:48 pm 

Old Hymn-tunes quite often have a sharp 4th accidental. Not only Hymn-tunes but popular tunes too.

I see with Old Rugged Cross if you play it in the key of D you not only have G# accidentals but also B flats.

The first line in ABC notation, where an 8th note is presumed. "2" means lengthened to a quarter-note, "3" to a dotted quarter-note, "4" to a half-note.

F# G | A3 G# B2 | A4 A A | B3 Bflat c#2 | B4 B B |

The tune thus having both a sharp 4th accidental and a sharp 5th/flat 6th accidental, no matter where you place this tune on the whistle you're going to have to do some half-holed notes.

So many Hymn tunes have only a sharp 4th accidental, and if these are placed in the key of G the sharp 4th is C# which is under your fingers of course.

Goldie Low D whistle