Vintage Generation Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fsharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.
"that's Alright, I still have my guitar"
I still have a great interest in ITM

Vintage Generation Whistles

Post by fsharp »

Just to let you know, that I'm selling, as one lot, a collection of pre 1980/81 whistles in various keys, in both brass and Nickel. there's more information and photographs on ebay
"is it about a bicycle"?
Mr.Gumby

Re: Vintage Generation Whistles

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Link

The green two piece is a Clare.

They really spent most of their time in a vase on a windowsill in full sunlight didn't they? :D :poke:
My brain hurts

fsharp
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.

Post by fsharp »

Thanks for that! Yes, a couple of them did spend some time out of the drawer, maybe not in full sunshine, this is England after all!!
"is it about a bicycle"?
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

probably a bit overexposed too.
"is it about a bicycle"?
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Those three blue top whistles are quite intriguing. The red-top D and Bb correspond to the heads on my pre-1980s Generations, but those blue-tops are something different.

The blob on the ramp is different; markedly so. There are also a few other, more subtle, differences. Could it be that these are a previous iteration (a pre-pre-1980s) of plastic-top Generations. It's the only explanation that makes sense to me.
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

Now, that's very interesting! When was the first plastic top Generation made, I wonder?
Maybe these are late 60s or early 70s.
"is it about a bicycle"?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Here are two examples, the brass/red one is an early one, 1950s I would think, that still retains the decorative lines on the body. It has an elongated bump (and a smaller window) compared to the slightly later one, possibly still pre 70s itself:

pic is a bit iffy, may do a better one in daylight tomorrow.
My brain hurts

ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Thanks for the photo, I've seen it before of course in other discussions about Generations, but I'd simply not noticed the elongated bump on the older whistle.

The history of Generation whistles seems to be a mystery, even to the modern day company.

Given the Generations I've known and played (alongside your pics), 1950s up to maybe early 1960s seems about right.

Possibly ... maybe ... :D
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Thanks for the photo, I've seen it before of course in other discussions about Generations
I took it just now, minutes before posting. They all look alike don't they :D #

You may have seen this one:

Which is interesting in itself for the old style decorated tube, a transitional model, as it were.
My brain hurts

Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

After viewing the listing on my tablet, I have to wonder about the labels. All the intact ones say "British made." One of my Generations bears the legend "made in England." This was probably a fairly recent change, eh?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Here's a marginally better view of two bumps on older model Bbs. The bump on one of the Bbs in the OP's sale appears significantly different again. So that's three different designs pre-1980 for the Bb as far as we can tell at this time :

The earliest all metal ones actually said 'British make'
before 'British made' came in. 'English' is very recent.
My brain hurts

Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

I figured the change to "made in England" was recent. Thank you, Mr. Gumby, for sharing your encyclopedic knowledge of things whistle!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Link

They really spent most of their time in a vase on a windowsill in full sunlight didn't they? :D :poke:
Guess they were not watered very Often in that vase!
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

Whistles have now been sold. Thanks for all the interest and great information!
"is it about a bicycle"?