Clark Original Whistle Models over the years

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ElementalWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking forward to learning more about whistles and sessions and tunes and this looked like a positive community and great resource.

Clark Original Whistle Models over the years

Post by ElementalWhistle »

I found my Clark whistle from ???....It may be 20 years old? Trying to date it. No luck from searching the Clark website. Is there another thread on here that has the Clark models with a photo and or description? I seem to remember at some point they started getting fancy, painting them, etc. This one is just silver metal with the wood block. No other markings.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Clark Original Whistle Models over the years

Post by pancelticpiper »

My Clarke is from around 1980 and it's black with gold lettering and designs.

In the old days they only were made in C. If yours is in D that might help date it.

About plain silver ones, I have no idea.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

20 years is plausible. I think I first saw the plain silver ones in online stores around 2000 or a bit later.
Christian
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

When I started playing around 1980, Clarke whistles were only available in the key of C, with a softwood block which was prone to leaking, splintering and rotting.
That´s what they looked like: [img][IMG]https://s12.directupload.net/images/200808/temp/b6m4iqlc.jpg[/img][/img]
Note the black letters on golden shield and the golden diamonds on/around the finger holes.
Around 1990 the design was changed, the block was now made of hardwood (still leaking in most cases), now golden letters on black background for the name, and the golden diamonds between the finger holes: [img][IMG]https://s12.directupload.net/images/200808/temp/yb9up2km.jpg[/img][/img]
By the same time, whistles in the key of D were introduced, and also the pure 'silver' ones in both keys.
Also, the names "classic" and "original" came up (I could never keep in mind which was which), to be later completed with "victorian", "traditional" and, AFAIR, some more names for the same whistles...
If or if not you like them is very much a question of personal taste and preference, but it can be taken for granted that, with a bit of qualified tweaking, these whistles can perform a lot better than right out of the box (although back in the day, there was no box, they came individually wrapped in waxed paper).
But, to answer what I think was your initual question - the painted ones were there before the plain ones.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thanks!

Yes my c1980 Clarke is like the first one you linked to. That's the only kind I remember seeing. I never owned, saw, or played a Clarke D.

Keeping in mind that I never was much of a whistle player, concentrating on flute and pipes, until around 15 years ago.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Here are two plain Clarkes, one, very shiny, early noughties C, the other a D, much older and the nicest playing Clarke I have yet come across. They are distinctly different in their construction. Not a great pic, sorry. The older Clarke comes off better in this older pic, with an old E of unknown origins:

My brain hurts

MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

This old E seems to have a particularly well made windway and labium, judging from the pic!
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

So Mr Gumby you're saying that Clarkes have long been made in a variety of keys including E and D?

Or are they whistles of unknown make that resemble Clarkes?

Because I had never seen a Clarke in anything but C, in the 1970s. And they were all painted, I'd never seen a plain one.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Clarkes have been around for a long time and had various owners. While there were only Cs at some point, different keys were made during other periods and for different markets. The old plain D in the photo is clearly marked Clarke and D.

Here's a catalogue image from 1900, copied from Dannatt's book, three Ds are listed, 'English style' (painted?), brass and nickel:

And there's currently one sitting on ebay, that may or may not be a Clarke but it is 40mm longer than your average Clarke C.

This old E seems to have a particularly well made windway and labium, judging from the pic!

It is very neatly done, certainly more neatly formed than any modern Clarke I have seen. Whoever made it was well tooled up for the job. It has clean, crisp lines and square edges and good quality and well fitting cedar block. I don't know who made it, it could be an older style Clarke or anything old generic middle/eastern European.

My brain hurts

RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

The old E Clarke (in red) looks like a considerable design improvement over the current model (as of a few years ago now). To make the "blade" on the current version, Clarke simply takes the top portion of the tube and bends down part of it in the middle that's in line with the windway, but not all. It's an irregular shape, an "M" shape, it doesn't match what any other whistle maker is doing (wood, metal or plastic). So I have to wonder what portion of the blade width is not capable of making tone, and wastes air flow, since the windway is the full width of the tube. Just guessing from how it looks, it could be that 25% to 50% of the blade's width is not involved in making a tone.
MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos »

Due to the "M" shape, actually only two very small points of the blade width are in the correct position for tone production - all the rest of it is indeed a waste of air flow, that's the reason why tweaking the blade improves the Clarke whistles so much.
My guess would rather be in the region of 75% waste.
On the other hand, the hissing and whooshing caused by inefficient air is what many people seem to like as "the traditional sound"... :wink:
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Interestingly enough, I have the complete line-up (at least the full metal models) from TWZ-whistles (the "pure brass", "Al Jo" and "XL", the session-model) and they have a similar simple blade design as the Clarkes and ALL of the TWZs are great players, take very little air and have a nice tone (they sound 'breathy' but are very easy to control and nimble). They rank among the best whistles I own of any maker, really. So it isn't the blade design in itself that is the "problem". I think it is rather the enormous windway (which is much smaller on the TWZ whistles) that makes the Clarkes of today such air-hogs. A 'Shaw' is closer to the original Clarke design than the current Clarkes. (It takes a lot of air, too, though but is overall higher quality, as should be expected because of the higher price.)
https://www.tinwhistle.de/tin-whistles/ ... -al-jo.php
https://daveshaw.co.uk/SHAW_Whistles/shaw_whistles.html
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Pushing down the (lower) end of the windway to narrow it pretty much solves that problem. Getting the right alignment of windway and blade is the tricky bit. The D in the above photographs is surprisingly clear, balanced and easy to play without any undue windnoise. I haven't managed to get the C up to the same standard. Even though it takes little air it's still too hissy for my liking. Problem is even a change of a fraction of a millimetre in the position of the blade can change a nearly right playing whistle into a dead metal tube that makes no musical sound at all and then you're back to square one.
My brain hurts

cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

i love clarkes, as far as the wood, i soak it in oil and the block stays nice, and the windcutter, i have just minutely below the block edge rightly diving the wind flow itself ,
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

I have a pre-war Clarke in 'F' that is marked 'R. CLARKE' punched into the tin, no paint.