Monster Grips for slippery whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Garick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: New whistle player looking to upgrade from a mass-produced whistle to something intermediate. Apparently that didn't equal 100 characters or more, but I have little to add other than that I am currently playing a Clarke original, Freeman tweak.

Re: Monster Grips for slippery whistles

Post by Garick »

OP, thanks for the recommendation. My order came in the other day, and I find I'm already able to use a more relaxed grip and have better stability, especially on the fingerless notes.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

stability, especially on the fingerless notes
You know, there are ways.. don't believe everything you see on fingering charts :party:

[search : lazy fingering]
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Garick wrote: better stability, especially on the fingerless notes.
Gumby is alluding to the practice of using what I call "anchor fingers" so that there's always at least one finger on the tube.

It can be having the lower-hand little finger resting on the tube when upper-hand notes (A, B, c, c#) are being played.

Many would put that finger down for G as well.

Some keep that finger down the entire time, for every note. To me playing pats on E as to a lesser extent on F# are made more awkward when the lower-hand little finger is down. So I usually play D, E, and F# with the lower-hand little finger off, and put it down for G, A, B, c, and c#.

Then there are players who put down the lower-hand ring finger on its hole for the upper-hand notes, and sometimes G as well.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Garick
Tell us something.: New whistle player looking to upgrade from a mass-produced whistle to something intermediate. Apparently that didn't equal 100 characters or more, but I have little to add other than that I am currently playing a Clarke original, Freeman tweak.

Post by Garick »

Actually, I think he's referring to keeping one or more of the right hand fingers down when playing C#, a hint that i just found by googling "lazy fingering" and finding this:https://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/ ... fting.html Mind blown!