Second octave to sharp

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tonie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi! I started to play the tin whistle a couple of months ago and simply love the instrument. I wondered if it was difficult to make one myself and started with a simple pvc-whistle. I´ve made a few of pvc, aluminium and copper. I´ve even managed to sell one. It seems like this forum is full of very competent people with a great deal of knowledge and that´s why I would like to join. There´s a few things in the making of a tin whistle that puzzles me and I hope that someone can help me with some of the problems I´ve encountered.

Second octave to sharp

Post by Tonie »

Hello everyone!
My name is Tonie and I'm from Sweden. I began learning how to play the tin whistle a couple of months ago and has fallen in love with the instrument and the music it was made to play. Since I like to do things with my hands the step to make my own whistles wasn't far away. I studied the clark original I bought and searched the internet for information. Started with plastic tubes and moved on to aluminium and copper. I use the calculator on music.bracker.uk but find it difficult to get everything right so the whistle doesn't sound false.
My first question is (I have a lot more ;-) : Accourding to a page I found on how to make whistles, the tuning in the first octave should be -10 c. That would make the second octave sound more in tune with the first. My whistles still tends to sound a bit sharp on the second octave and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?
Mr.Gumby

Re: Second octave to sharp

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Guido Gonzato's selfbuild instructions give some advice that may be helpful: Troubleshooting
My brain hurts

Tonie
Tell us something.: Hi! I started to play the tin whistle a couple of months ago and simply love the instrument. I wondered if it was difficult to make one myself and started with a simple pvc-whistle. I´ve made a few of pvc, aluminium and copper. I´ve even managed to sell one. It seems like this forum is full of very competent people with a great deal of knowledge and that´s why I would like to join. There´s a few things in the making of a tin whistle that puzzles me and I hope that someone can help me with some of the problems I´ve encountered.

Re: Second octave to sharp

Post by Tonie »

Thank you! I've read his troubleshooting before and tried most of the tips. I'll read them again and see if I missed something.