what technique?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The apostol
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have started whistling 2 months ago. Now Im searching for more information about whistles and find out that this should be the place to look for it

what technique?

Post by The apostol »

Hi guys,

what is this technique in whistle playing, and how to practise it? Happens around 1:05 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLE8fSzY7To

Many low whistle players use it, sounds great.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: what technique?

Post by Sedi »

I think it's a crann.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't think there's a crann there, if I am listening to the same bit anyway. Simple grace note : ..{eg}e2 d2|B
My brain hurts

The apostol
Tell us something.: I have started whistling 2 months ago. Now Im searching for more information about whistles and find out that this should be the place to look for it

Post by The apostol »

he is using the same technique multiple times in the intro... :-? 1:08 is the next.. maybe triplet?
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I think Mr.Gumby is right. Not a crann. Might be a quick roll however. Or just a cut. There is a number of different things you could do at that point in the tune.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

It's a doubling - two gracenotes played on the E melody note, in this case probably played with the A and G fingers.
A cran would have three gracenotes.
How to practice - as with everything else, first of all, practice SLOWLY...
play E, cut with A, back to E, then with G - don't lift the G finger before the A finger has been closed and the second E sounded - you want to hear E - A cut - E - G cut - E. The execution needs to be very precise, so start slowly and the speed up, the effect comes with tempo but first of all precision, or it will never sound right...
It is very much like a cran missing one gracenote, the desired effect being the illusion of the E sounding throughout, with the grace notes being dabbed onto it
ltwhistle
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish whistle for nearly 20 years. My favorite brand is Overton. I also like high whistles more.

Post by ltwhistle »

Basically, it's a triplet, plus the cut being added to one of the notes at the same time.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I think it's exactly the same ornament I do quite a bit.

I do it on E in the 2nd octave.

It's a double-cut, like this:

xxx xxo
xxx oxo
xxx xxo
xxx xoo
xxx xxo

I do exactly the same thing with my upper hand:

xxo ooo
oxo ooo
xxo ooo
xoo ooo
xxo ooo

On either hand, it's cutting first with the index finger and then with the middle finger.

I suppose it could be called a "semi-cran" because it has two cuts while what I think of as a "cran" per se has three cuts.

Not a "triplet" at least not in the sense of a melodic device as the term is usually used in Irish and Scottish music.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle