It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:43 pm 

Hello, fellow whistlers! I'm in the hunt for a low D whistle, and I'm very interested in the Carbony Low D with chimney extenders that allows for closer finger spacing, as opposed to one that usually requires a piper's grip (I do not have large hands). In the description, it says it is a "big bore" whistle. Larger bores usually require more air, right? Does anybody have experience with the Carbony Low D whistles? If so, have you felt that they required more air than other Low D whistles that you have played?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:27 pm 

I have a G and and F which I like very much, but no experience with the low D I'm afraid. Grey Larsen posted a video a few weeks or months ago comparing the standard Carbony low D with their new low D with closer finger spacing. It is on YouTube. I know you have likely digested all the YouTube videos out there, but there are quite a few if you haven't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:50 am 

I've not played that newer model with the angled chimneys.

At many of the festivals I've attended there's a Carbony booth, so over the years I've played many of their flutes and whistles in various keys. Personally I don't care for the Low D's they've had at their booths.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:39 am 

Feadog80,
There is a member here on the C&F that posts as Angelicbeaver. He has a YouTube channel where he does a lot of whistle reviews and comparisons. He goes by Nathaniel Dowell on YouTube.
He has done a bunch of videos on the carbony whistles. If I were you I'd send him a message through this forum. He a very nice guy and likes to help people where he can do so.

Here are a few of his videos you might be interested in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rFtthV ... ex=45&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU58dVy ... ex=25&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-KUfLb2YOw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:32 am 

Quick summary: The Carbony is within tolerances for me (doesn't strike me as difficult to play because of demanding air requirements), but it's not the most efficient whistle in my collection.

Method:
I just ran through my Carbony, MK, Chieftain V3, Burke, and Goldie whistles. I took a deep breath and then held the first octave G for as long as I could while running a stop watch. It's a rough comparison, because you can blow whistles harder or softer, and I wasn't using a tuner, but it should give you an idea.

The Goldie was the most air efficient at roughly 30 seconds.
The Goldfinch low D also gave me 30 seconds, which I wasn't expecting!
MK Pro - 25.
(Chieftain V5 matched the MK on a past test)
Burke - 20
Chieftain V3 - 20
Qwistle - 20
Carbony - 20
Reviol - 20
The least air efficient low D I've played was a Shaw. I wish I'd run this test while I had it, but I'd estimate 15 seconds, based on my tendency to huff and puff on that thing. I tried my flute and got about 15 seconds as well, which makes sense because I find I have to be much more thoughtful about breathing when I play it.

So a Carbony is a great improvement on the Shaw (or flute, for me), but it's middling in its air efficiency. However, I've found that the whistles with greater breath requirements often come with a fuller, fatter tone (notably the Burke, and the V3 in comparison to the V5), so might be be a worthwhile trade off if you can stand being a bit more thoughtful in your breathing (and a lot of us could stand to be more thoughtful in our breathing). The Carbony doesn't have a loud sound, but it is very full and open, as opposed to my medium blowing Goldie, which is a bit more compressed and nasal.

Hope that helps!

Check out my various whistle comparisons on my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyujhpemdQEcjOVM20DGKTX2PKWz4b8Yo

Or like my author page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NathanielDowellPhotography/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:31 pm 

Thanks for all of the input! The Carbony has a 30-day trial period, so I decided to just order one and see how I like it. Plus, I have talked to Rob Gandara at music festivals before and he has always come across as a kind and honest person, so I don't see any risk. The close finger spacing option is very appealing to me, and the Carbony is the only low D that currently has it, so if I don't like it, at least I won't have to wonder if I would have been better off with the Carbony.