It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:12 am 

Wood whistles are generally wider so might be a consideration, although wood whistles are not everyone's cuppa.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:45 pm 

Sedi wrote:
Ehm, sorry but I cannot explain how to make a good whistle in like a couple of sentences. I've been doing that for 5 years and it took me a half year and more than 20 prototypes to perfect the square whistle. So you would have to learn the necessary skills and make yourself familiar with some tools like a "flutomat" software to calculate hole-size and other measurements. It would be all but useless if I gave you some calculations if I don't even know what type of material (wall thickness, diameter, etc) you'd be working with. Every millimeter difference would make new calculations necessary. So I guess your best bet is to buy a Susato with a thumb rest. It's not like I have some "secrets" I don't wanna share but it takes time and effort to come up with a good, in-tune whistle. There is more than enough material online on how to make whistles. And there is no geometry needed to come from 12x12 mm to a round diameter. The formula for the area of a circle is r^2 times "pi". And 2 times r is the diameter you need for any flutomat software. So I use tubing with 14 x 14. Inner diameter 12 x 12 (not 13 as stated above, my bad -- wall thickness is 1 mm)
12 x 12 = 144
144/pi = 45.8366236
square root of 45.8366236 is 6.770275 -- take it times 2 and you get the inner diameter of a round tube which you can then put into a flutomat software to calculate the hole sizes and spread of the holes. 13.54055 mm is the number you'll get. This is the formula you need when using a flutomat software with a square tube. Basically just translating the square profile into a round one.

Sorry, I didn't mean that I'd ask you to calculate it for me. I meant that if I could get square tube identical to yours, would you be willing to share the hole locations and sizes that you used? That said, the tubing you're using appears not to be a standard size in the US, so since I don't think I can get identical tubing, the question is moot. Also, the part I was worried about was the conversion issue from square to round, and you just gave me that, so I think I can figure it out from there. Thank you.

In the meantime, my Walton's Mellow D arrived, and I'm quite happy with it. Thanks for the suggestion RoberTunes and TxWhistler. It came tune-able out of the box (actually, wrapper) and has a very nice sound. Practicing on this should help me be prepared if/when my Mellow Dog arrives.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:51 pm 

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean that I'd ask you to calculate it for me. I meant that if I could get square tube identical to yours, would you be willing to share the hole locations and sizes that you used?

That might work. But you're probably right about the different sizes EU vs. US. The tube I use is not even standard here with 14x14mm on the outside. A standard size would be 15x15 but I couldn't find the right square connectors that I use for the mouthpiece. And the app I'm using never gives me the correct overall length -- so that is more or less trial and error by cutting off small pieces till I have the right length. The calculations for the holes that the app does, are correct however but the app is intended for flutes and not whistles and the mouthpiece screws everything up when it comes to overall length.