Boolavogue

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
facet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A whistle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistle.

Boolavogue

Post by facet »

Can anyone point me to the sheet music, or tabs, for this Véronique DUHEM recording? There appear to be several variations of Boolavogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9hG9UGjSMw
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Boolavogue

Post by PB+J »

It seems to be pretty much the version you can find at thesession.org

https://thesession.org/tunes/5322
facet
Tell us something.: A whistle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistle.

Post by facet »

Thank you, but variations like the others. I'm not having much luck dodging a rewrite.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

facet wrote:Thank you, but variations like the others. I'm not having much luck dodging a rewrite.

there isn't really a known original to that tune--there's no "official version." Its based on an old melody to which lyrics were added, in I believe the 1890s, but I may be wrong about the decade.

in the Irish music tradition it's extremely common to improvise variations on a tune, which is what she's doing.
facet

Post by facet »

PB+J wrote:... it's extremely common to improvise variations on a tune, which is what she's doing.
I know, and I could just cave and play other variations, but I like hers the best. I'll eventually figure it out but it will be painful. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

facet wrote:I'll eventually figure it out but it will be painful. :)
Forget painful; make it an act of will and determination. You've already said that you're going to saddle that thing and ride it, so isn't it a done deal? Treat it that way. Doesn't matter how long it takes if it's worth it. In fact, I lay odds that it'll come to you faster than you expected.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
facet

Post by facet »

Nanohedron wrote:
facet wrote:I'll eventually figure it out but it will be painful. :)
Forget painful; make it an act of will and determination...
Okay, it will hurt so good. <g>
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

That's the spirit. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I was about to say something about "teach a man to fish", that you should do your own variations rather than slavishly copy variations done by somebody else...but in truth the best way to learn the art of doing traditional-style variation is to study the variations that good traditional players have done.

So you're doing the right thing, more power to you.

EDIT: I just listened to that whole performance, I didn't hear any variations, at least none that were evident.

Perhaps if I transcribed all three playings I might find a small thing or two, I don't know.

In any case you can see her fingers. That's my favourite way to pick up a tune: hearing, and seeing the fingers.

BTW she's playing rather sharp at the start, then backs off on her pressure as she goes, bringing her pitch down. Stuff like that happens, say if sitting up there is warmer than wherever she tuned up.

Is that a brass Burke?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I just listened to that whole performance, I didn't hear any variations, at least none that were evident.
It sounds pretty much like something learned from notation played verbatim a number of times.

Variation is at the heart of traditional playing. But perhaps mostly in the playing of dance music. Airs, slow or otherwise, like this one, should ideally follow the song/words set to the tune and vary the music to suit those, if needed. Best to take the words as your guide to playing the tune and play it like the singer would sing it.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I realised right after I posted that the topic wasn't "variation" but "setting".
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I realised right after I posted that the topic wasn't "variation" but "setting".
Thaty was my initial interpretation as well but this:
in the Irish music tradition it's extremely common to improvise variations on a tune, which is what she's doing
had enough ambiguity to throw that into doubt.
My brain hurts

Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Hopefully this isn't going too far off topic but the post inspired me to listen to multiple versions of the tune. Is it my imagination or does this tune sound a lot like The auld Triangle? I know it's a later song but just wondering if my ears are playing tricks on me.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Very nice Kenny, thanks for that link.

Boy he puts a lot of wind through that whistle.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle