Killarney-like alto?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WhistleTunes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi! I’ve been a trad musician most of my life on the highland pipes. Been playing whistles and flute for about a year now.

Killarney-like alto?

Post by WhistleTunes »

I’ve fallen in love with Killarney whistles, but my understanding is they don’t have plans to extend their range downward below Bb at this point. Is anyone aware of an alto G and A whistles that play like Killarneys? Very air efficient and sweeter tone.

Thanks!
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Re: Killarney-like alto?

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Perhaps Tony Dixon's work? I've been doing a lot of researching and experimenting as I expand the range of keys I offer, and I'm stopping at Bb as well - some of the factors that make my high whistles so good simply don't scale in any kind of attractive way once you get down that low.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I have a Thunderbird 'A', Tony Dixon trad brass 'A' & 'G', an aluminium 'A', & an ABS 'G', they have become some of my favourite whistles, (along with my 2 low 'F' whistles).
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

You can get a Sindt A and Bb that will be superior in my humble opinion. He is still taking orders. He did not make a G at last count. But you could always ask.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'll second the Sindt recommendation. I had a Sindt A/Bb/B set which was superb.

Sindts, good Killarneys, and good Generations are my favourite high whistles. I use Generations down to A, what I did for A was make a body from brass hobby tubing to fit on a Generation Bb head.

For G and F I've been playing Burkes for quite a while now. But I'm slowly replacing my random Low and Alto/Mezzo whistles with Goldies.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

The Killarney projects very precise notes and of course the tone and volume are balanced, clear and singing through the octaves. The shift to alto keys creates a shift in character, it can't be helped. So I see two issues; the balanced, crisp precision of playing through all octaves, and the tone you like. The second issue is entirely up to you; what you like, and you'll have to explore that yourself.

Tony Dixon A's and G's in aluminum will give you particularly crisp precise playing and clear tone, a very efficient use of air. I have the D in aluminum and still think it's one of the clearest and precise players available. The brass offers something similar but a more rounded tone. Plastic is the third option, even if just for exploring tonal variety as related to materials.

That being said, I haven't searched for exactly this Killarney comparison in mind, so there will be more. Check out multi-model comparisons, such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJEb_ojxM74

Good luck!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I think the weight of the brass heads scaled to lower keys would be a major issue. I have Killarney C and sindt B whistles that are, while perfectly manageable, are already fairly heavy. Think of the chunk of brass it will take to make a head that will drive, say, a low F.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Might have to shift to aluminum for the big ones.

Or delrin/polypenco.

I had a solid brass Chieftain Low D and it was just too heavy.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I think the weight of the brass heads scaled to lower keys would be a major issue. I have Killarney C and sindt B whistles that are, while perfectly manageable, are already fairly heavy. Think of the chunk of brass it will take to make a head that will drive, say, a low F.
Yes, I had a Sindt A back in the day. Great whistle, but that large brass head did make it rather top-heavy.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

tin tin wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:I think the weight of the brass heads scaled to lower keys would be a major issue. I have Killarney C and sindt B whistles that are, while perfectly manageable, are already fairly heavy. Think of the chunk of brass it will take to make a head that will drive, say, a low F.
Yes, I had a Sindt A back in the day. Great whistle, but that large brass head did make it rather top-heavy.

It might be a bit, but I don't end up feeling it when I play my Sindt A.

I do have a friend who is sensitive to metals and ask JS to make him a completely delrin mouthpiece on a D whistle. It definitely cut down the weight and made it a trifle mellower if I remember correctly. I am trying to picture it now, but I can't remember if the whole head was delrin or just the portion that meets the lips.