Chieftain V5: Fixed vs Tunable?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BillT
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Interested in learning about tin whistles. Just starting to look into learning to play them and wondering where to start.

Chieftain V5: Fixed vs Tunable?

Post by BillT »

I've been playing for less than a year, but have been enjoying it. I have the C/D Mellowdog Pair from Jerry Freeman.

I want to add a low D whistle and have kind of settled on the Chieftain V5 after a lot of research. I play by myself and with my family. That's it, no sessions or anything else. Is he tunable worth the extra $s? Thanks!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Chieftain V5: Fixed vs Tunable?

Post by fatmac »

Unless you are playing with other instruments, the tunable whistle version isn't a necessity.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

BillT wrote:I play by myself and with my family.
What instruments do they play? In particular, can they easily tune to match the whistle (violin/fiddle, guitar, flute, voice, ...), or are they pretty much stuck with the tuning they've got (piano, accordion, bagpipes, oboe, ...)? How fussy are you and they about slight differences in tuning?
BillT
Tell us something.: Interested in learning about tin whistles. Just starting to look into learning to play them and wondering where to start.

Post by BillT »

Guitar, ukulele, harp, piano

And honestly, the tuning on my mellow dog hasn't been any problem, so I would think the chieftain would be fine.
I just didn't want to spend for the fixed, and wind up wishing I had gone for the tunable. Thanks.